SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SR. MANAGER, PROPOSAL STRATEGY & CAPTURE
The SpaceX Proposal Strategy & Capture Sr. Manager supports the company’s bids for competitive business opportunities from release of a customer’s requirements through award of a contract. In this role, you will coordinate with the relevant SpaceX executives and sales leads to ensure that we are organized and prepared to win. You’ll prepare compelling, winning proposals that meet/exceed customer requirements and promote the features and benefits of SpaceX’s evolving technology and launch services. You will manage authors from across SpaceX’s technical and business teams as they prepare text addressing specific customer needs. You will edit and write technical and non-technical text as necessary to prepare the most compelling possible proposals.
- Direct supervision and leadership of the Proposal Writing Team, acting as their direct manager
- Serve as the programmatic lead on proposal efforts, from the release of request for information (RFI) to final proposal revision (FPR)
- Coordinate with business leads and capture managers (if assigned) and act as capture manager if none is assigned to prepare the company to write elevated, winning proposals
- Organize and align the proposal writing team, proposal authors, and the broader indirect technical and business support team drawn from talent across the company
- Make proposal resource allocation recommendations to senior leadership
- Create and implement win themes that are aligned with the business/capture manager direction
- Exercise “color team” and external non-advocate reviews, when appropriate, to elevate proposals to a level that can compete with any comparable Fortune 500 Company product
- Manage section authors from across the company, setting and enforcing deadlines and expectations
- Work with customer teams to shape requests for proposal (RFPs) while in the draft stages
- Ensure proposals comply with customer instructions and align with SpaceX goals
- Help maintain repository of frequently used proposal information
- Generate and manage proposal generation master schedule, provide regular updates to the sales director, and prepare internal executive presentations
- Lead process-improvement efforts that incorporate best practices learned from actual proposal efforts and operational missions back into SpaceX’s sales and proposal development efforts
- Bachelor’s degree
- 5+ years of professional experience
- 2+ years of experience working on large, complex government proposals
- Experience with government contracts and successful bids
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering or science discipline
- 5+ years of technical writing experience including organizing, managing, and producing multiple large technical proposals concurrently
- Experience understanding and adhering to technical RFP instructions and guidance to ensure compliant as well as strong, elevated, technically superior proposals
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement winning proposal strategies and themes translating complex ideas into readily understood proposals
- Demonstrable editing skills at the organizational, structural, sentence, fact-checking and proofreading levels
- Demonstrated technical project management skills
- Experience with graphics (proposal graphics, renderings, communicating complex information through graphic tools)
- Government or commercial space-related experience
- Experience working with cross-functional teams and external customers
- Strong creative and technical writing skills, as well as excellent verbal skills
- Ability to obtain a security clearance
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.