SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
MATERIAL PLANNER – STARLINK USER TERMINAL
Material planning lies at the heart of SpaceX production of world-class rockets, spacecraft, and now Starlink, our low-earth orbit satellite constellation that will deliver internet connectivity to millions of customers around the world via our User Terminals. This is a high-profile, cross functional position that will play an integral role in building a totally new supply chain from scratch: one that is simultaneously global and local, outsourced and in-house, protoype build and mass production capable. Working in close coordination with engineering and manufacturing departments, the material planner will directly contribute to shepherding the product all the way from prototype phase, through mass production of millions of units, and ultimately deliver them to world markets for the first time! The challenges and responsibilities of this critical position on the User Terminal team demand an extremely versatile, capable, and motivated supply chain leader to guarantee production success on a very tight timeline!
We are seeking planners with demonstrated experience and robust purchasing skillsets to help us build user terminals reliably, cost-efficiently, and on-time! We need demonstrated experience in MRP (Material Requirements Planning), supply chain practices, and project management. We need forward thinkers who can forecast demand, evaluate capacity, manage supplier commitments and allocation, manage and compress lead-times, pull-in and expedite delivery, push-out and enable more development time, manage on hold materials, track high risk materials and delivery performance, and also recover material shortages of purchased and fabricated parts by working cross-functionally to come up with creative solutions. Further, we require skills in materials management across all nodes of our international, domestic, and in-house supply chains to include inventory management and safety stock planning as well as tracking of work in progress, in-transit, orphan, excess, obsolete, repair parts, and last, but not least finished goods distribution. As we set up a new supply chain, there will be a need to onboard suppliers, establish and manage mechanical and electrical BOMs in both prototype and mass production phases, release work and purchase orders, resolve purchase order discrepancies and invoice issues, develop and maintain supplier relationships, and aggressively pursue cost savings. Running across all of these functions, one must also be able to analyze and interpret data, distinguish the signal from the noise, and communicate clearly and rapidly to influence decisions of the cross functional team, vendors, and senior leadership.
- Bachelor’s degree in supply chain, business, engineering or similar technical discipline
- 2+ years of professional experience in material planning, operations management, supply chain management, or master scheduling; or 2 years of applicable internship experience in same fields
- Experience with MRP or Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems, and with managing bill of materials and work orders
- American Production and Inventory Control Society (APICS) certification, Six Sigma certification, or similar certifications
- Proven ability to work in a fast-paced, cross functional environment, independently and in a team
- Demonstrated efficiency in time management, interpersonal communication, and organization
- Strong skills in data analysis using Excel, SQL and Tableau
- Experience with forecasting, demand planning, and lead time analysis
- Experience with purchasing of electrical and mechanical parts
- Experience with raw materials and components movement among multiple nodes, inventory tracking/management
- Experience with procurement of electronic component and board level commodity experience
- Experience reading datasheets, drawings and blueprints
- Proven track record of leadership and team building skills
- Experience in production purchasing
- Exceptional analytical, problem solving, and organizational skills
- Knowledge/skills in current technologies and applications, ie. MS Office Suite, SQL, Access, etc.
- Effective written, verbal and presentation communication skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to learn quickly and prioritize appropriately to meet customer and company needs
- Detail-oriented, self-motivated and able to respond quickly to a fast-moving and ever-changing environment
- Conducts all activities with the highest of integrity
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.