SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
Manager, Starlink Supply Chain Reliability – User Terminal
SpaceX demands a new type of supply chain. We require our suppliers to provide premium quality with rapidly evolving designs at increasingly ambitious volumes. We are actively looking for candidates who possess comprehensive knowledge of manufacturing and quality tools and have unrelenting motivation to enable suppliers for success. This position requires a combination of proven leadership and technical capabilities.
The Manager, Supply Chain Reliability - Starlink at SpaceX is responsible for defining and implementing policies and strategies for development, qualification, ramp and full steady state satellite production. The incumbent will make strategic decisions that impact the department and have broad influence across organizations within SpaceX. Success in this role will require the use of strong communication skills, engineering intuition and best practices, and commodity management experience to systemically grow and mature SpaceX suppliers into strategic partners. This individual must have proven ability to form partnerships and build strong internal and external partnerships with regional and international partners. This position regularly interacts with internal customers to ensure that methods are aligned with production and engineering needs, and would be a vocal proponent within the organization to identify gaps and opportunities to ensure quality, continuous improvements and reduce supply chain risk to SpaceX.
- Team Leadership:
- Manage a team of engineers and quality specialists who exercise latitude and independence in assignments. Responsible for defining the structure of the team and providing mentorship and strategic development planning for first- and second-level direct reports
- Actively and effectively manage the team by providing clear direction that aligns with the strategy and priorities of the company
- Hire, develop and retain top talent to meet current and future business needs
- Act as a champion for the team through regular communications with company leadership
- Demonstrate innovation, technical excellence, attention-to-detail, self-direction, & courage
- Drive for results and customer satisfaction
- Develop and enhance transactional processes to gain organizational efficiency
- Supplier Development & Quality Engineering:
- Assess supplier capabilities, technologies and their ability to successfully execute component / assembly manufacturing requirements. Manage validation exercises to demonstrate initial feasibility through full-scale production. Present technical recommendations to senior audiences
- Manage supplier improvement programs. Drive improvements utilizing Lean methodologies, supplier scorecards and supplier audits, ensuring supplier compliance while driving systematic problem solving and process improvement plans to deliver value
- Provide program leadership necessary to ensure that product quality, delivery, and cost achieve business and customer expectations
- Develop positive relationships and work closely with sourcing leaders to manage, implement and track supplier/engineering design changes and new product introductions
- Interface with component teams to prioritize supplier development needs by commodity to improve cost competitiveness or supply constraints. Recommend technical product improvements to reduce risk and potential defect opportunities
- Research external market information and entrepreneurial companies to identify potential sources and suppliers
- Drive supplier selection through robust qualification processes
- Deliver results as measured by key metrics such as supplier yield, cost, defect rate, etc.
- Leverage internal company relationships and to drive and develop best practices and operational standards to take responsibility for validation of conformance and precision measurement of product received from SpaceX suppliers using product and certification reviews
- Develop world-class metrology capabilities to service both one-off and ongoing needs
- Drive vision, direction, and efficiency gains to meet scale and quality objectives
- Leverage industry experience and statistical models to develop comprehensive quality control program based on product, supplier capability, and other related factors
- Assist in root cause investigations when quality issues do arise. Communicate findings and train staff on improvements or preventative measures
- Ensure a high level of internal and external customer service. Investigate and correct customer issues and complaints relating to quality
- Interface with other organizations within SpaceX to ensure all quality requirements are understood and achieved
- Be a crucial voice in the refinement, interpretation, documentation, and communication of quality control philosophy to key personnel within company
- Self-Management & Relationship Management:
- Assertive, optimistic, resilient and welcoming of change
- Engages interest and participation of others and has a collaborative approach to working together
- Proactively contributes to the team
- Is self-aware and able to work on own initiative
- Shows moral courage, openness and honesty in all dealings
- Develops and maintains strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders to ensure optimal performance
- Communicates efficiently across internal and external stakeholders
- Diplomatic approach to relationships
- Completed bachelor’s degree in an engineering field from a 4 year university
- Minimum of 5 years in manufacturing or engineering role including experience in a formal management capacity with direct reports
Preferred Skills and Experiences:
- Requires broad knowledge of managing and executing processes and projects within assigned disciplines along with solid understanding of other areas of the department and company
- Expert level knowledge in one or more commodities within the team’s scope
- Technical capabilities including knowledge of 2D blueprints and model drawings
- Knowledge of supplier quality processes (Production Part Approval Process, Advanced Product Quality Planning, First Article Inspection Reports, etc.)
- Experience with quality systems (Insert appropriate stds: ie. ISO9001/TS/AS9100)
- Disciplined approach to problem solving - 8D
- Experience with sharing information and influencing others (strong written and verbal communication skills, able to liaise cross functionally, internally and externally, make presentations to team members and management)
- Design for manufacturability and assembly
- Pareto analysis, root cause and corrective action experience. Experience performing PFMEAs
- Position requires long hours and some nights and weekends when required.
- Ability to travel - up to 60-75% work week travel is required, valid driver’s license and clean driving record are mandatory.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.