SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
MECHANICAL ENGINEER (SATELLITES)
- Develop production equipment, machines, and tooling for Starlink Constellation
- Design, analyze, and create drawings of several different projects in a fast paced environment -- projects will vary in size and scale
- Handle a wide range of technical problems. Some examples: assembly fixtures, material handling, off-loaders, rotisseries, test fixtures, structural weldments, environmental chambers and custom machines
- Coordinate with flight design teams to drive design for manufacturing
- Manage projects include manufacturing, vendors, inspection, equipment installation and commissioning
- Set, implement, and maintain schedules and budgets to ensure project completion
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline
- 2+ years of work experience or project experience in the design of mechanical/electrical systems
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience with structural analysis including the ability to perform hand calculations
- Experience designing mechanical systems using 3D CAD software and 2D drawings complete with full GD&T
- Strong expertise in design for manufacturability and design for assembly including experience taking products from development design to volume production
- Solid understanding of common manufacturing materials, GD&T, and tolerance/stack-up analysis
- Solid understanding of common manufacturing processes and machines including mills, lathes, welding, sheet-metal bending, lifting/rigging, assembly, inspection, etc
- Experience with custom machine design: motor, actuators, linear rails, linear actuators, pneumatics, bearing, timing belts, etc
- Experience with Unigraphics (UGS/NX) and Teamcenter CAD/PDM systems
- Experience with FEMAP Pre/Post processing, NASTRAN Solver, ANSYS Workbench, NX Advance Simulation
- Must be available to work extended hours and weekends as needed
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.