SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
PRINCIPAL OPERATIONS ENGINEER (PRODUCTION & LAUNCH)
Operations Engineers analyze, develop, and implement tactical and strategic business processes for the company’s production and launch operations to create high impact, efficient, economical solutions. We are looking for problem solvers with a passion for manufacturing excellence and developing robust processes. Ideal team members are highly autonomous individuals that excel in flexible environments; are steadfast in their efforts to sustain change; and bring clarity and smart decision-making to our leadership teams that drive the organization.
- Lead efforts to evaluate critical production processes and provide recommendations for sustainable solutions with leadership buy-in
- Ownership of all aspects of the engineering processes, and identifying beneficial opportunities to integrate new hardware to improve quality
- Apply process improvement methodologies and tools (e.g. value stream mapping, problem solving, visual management, etc.) to reduce manufacturing build hours and quality issues; increase production rates; and remove waste from complex processes across multiple departments, buildings, and sites
- Develop data analysis and/or tracking tools to analyze delivery, quality, and cost problems
- Identify operational challenges within the organization, determine root cause, and develop appropriate solutions tailored to different departments and management styles
- Partner with all levels of leadership within the organization to develop and review potential projects, steer allocation of improvement resources, and ensure sustainability of implemented solutions
- Codify knowledge and best practices of production systems, actively ensuring these documents and practices are updated and maintained
- Train technicians, engineers, and leaders on best-in-class operations practices by leading process improvement workshops; providing training and information briefs on key topics; and personally demonstrating “how” by implementing solutions in the area
- Provide mentorship, coaching, and overall strategic guidance to Operations Engineering team members
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline (industrial, mechanical, manufacturing, electrical, etc.)
- 8+ years working in a manufacturing or operations environment
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master of Business Administration
- Proficient working with SQL, Excel, or similar data analysis software
- Experience with developing, optimizing, and analyzing assembly and test processes
- 4+ years leading people or projects
- Ability to influence without authority
- Strong project management skills
- Able to adapt to a fast-paced work environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills across departments and at all levels of leadership
- Experience driving cross-functional change within large organizations
- Experience applying structured process improvement methodologies
- Experience working with a mix of supply chain management tools (e.g. MRP/ERP systems, MES systems, capacity planning, etc.)
- Experience applying Lean Six Sigma methodologies
- Experience bringing teams and processes from a development phase to full production
- Experience working with a mix of engineering tools (e.g. Bill of Materials, CAD software, capex ROIs, etc.)
- Experience monitoring, tracking, and continually improving total cost equation
- Must be willing to travel when needed (less than 10%)
- Ability to pass Air Force background checks for Cape Canaveral and Vandenberg
- Must be available for all shifts and extended hours. Work schedule may vary depending on business needs, and flexibility is required
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.