SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
MANUFACTURING ENGINEER, CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS
Join the team that manages overall project builds for ground systems fabrication. This will include both large scale (several million dollar) projects, as well as many smaller scale (ten thousand to hundreds of thousand dollar) jobs. Day to day, this team leads field installations of: high pressure fluid systems, structural and pipe weldments, machined parts, instrumentation, and controls. This role will also interpret, analyze, and provide feedback on technical documents, models, and designs.
- Work closely with the various fabrication teams and their leadership, manufacturing engineers, and design engineers. Develop strong relationships to optimize communication and utilize the strengths of each member of the team.
- Work closely with the various launch operations teams and their leadership to ensure the products we deliver meet form, function, and aesthetic expectations.
- Interpret technical manufacturing documents, ERP database systems, and shop processes to ensure accuracy in planning documents.
- Create, document, and enforce design and manufacturing standards. This includes design and implementation of planning, shop floor, and field work efficiency projects.
- Facilitate and monitor 3rd-party onsite contractors and services.
- Validate and ensure latest configurations/range specifications are effectively maintained throughout the project build.
- Review and manage RFP’s and create WO’s when needed.
- Coordinate with design and manufacturing teams, internally and externally, for engineering or environmental changes and pivot resources accordingly.
- Communicate daily status reports to all stakeholders, including project owners and site management. Notify all parties on progress. Maintain transparency with schedule and quickly identify blockers. Find ways in which projects can be de-scoped or expedited in order to maintain schedule.
- Master schedule projects based on given resources and need dates to meet company milestones. Present cost and schedule trade proposals to leadership. Be aggressive and creative to meet and beat need dates.
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering discipline.
- 1+ years of experience in an industrial fabrication or construction environment.
- 1+ years of experience translating blueprints, mechanical schematics, piping/instrumentation schematics and CAD system models.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Fearless tenacity of project ownership & communication.
- Project management experience in the oil/gas, or power generation industries.
- Project management experience in the amusement park fabrication industry.
- Direct knowledge of CNC Milling, waterjet/plasma table cutting, welding, quality inspection, high pressure fluids, instrumentation, painting, assembly and activation of complex systems.
- 3+ years of recent experience in project planning and estimating in an industrial environment.
- 3D CAD system experience.
- Positive, “can-do” attitude and ability to work in a very high paced environment.
- Proactive, self-starter attitude and ability to lead projects throughout their entirety.
- Proficient skills with typing, MS Excel, Word, OneNote, Project & Outlook.
- Skilled in reading and interpreting engineering drawings, parts lists, and specifications.
- Familiar with lean manufacturing principles.
- Strong analytical, computer, and written skills.
- Must be mechanically inclined, proficient with all types of hand tools.
- Physical effort including standing, lifting and carrying moderately heavy materials or equipment (15 to 35 lbs.)
- Occasional travel may be required
- Willingness to work outdoors
- Ability to pass Cape Canaveral background check
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.