SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
LEAD WELDER (STARSHIP) - 3RD SHIFT
Tank fabricators will work to build the primary airframe of the Starship and Super Heavy vehicles at the SpaceX South Texas build site. The lead tank fabricator will work with an elite team of other fabricators and technicians to rapidly build the tank (cylindrical structure), tank bulkheads, and other large associated structures for the flight article design of both vehicles.
- Perform welding assembly and fabrication on various medium to large-scale structures and assemblies
- Oversee day-to-day team needs (i.e. parts, tools, consumables)
- Monitor and implement area safety requirements and improvements including handling and disposing of hazardous materials in approved manner
- Train personnel on proper procedures, identify and task team members appropriately to their level as well as develop skills of team members
- Set and accomplish daily production goals in accordance with overall department delivery goals
- Communicate with engineering staff and planners to achieve build efficiency
- Check work after completion of each operation in job and/or completed job to ensure it is complete per drawing
- High school diploma or GED
- 2+ years of experience welding either stainless steel, carbon steel, inconel, or aluminum
- 2+ years of experience with any of the following: tank fabrication, elevated steel structure fabrication, elevated work, sheetmetal work
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience working at SpaceX in a welder or technician capacity
- Familiarity and/or experience with FCAW, SAW, GMAW processes
- Familiarity with and knowledge of use of safety systems at elevation
- 1+ years of experience with machining, complex assembly, or aircraft/space vehicle integration
- Experience reading and interpreting engineering drawings, blueprints, weld callouts and specifications
- Experience with overhead cranes and forklifts
- Experience in machining and fabrication proficiencies:
- Vertical mill, holding tight tolerances and correct material setups
- Lathe, holding tight tolerances and correct material setups
- Various power tools such as drills, saws, and pneumatic die grinders etc.
- Utilize proper tools for precision measuring
- Basic knowledge of inherent NDE inspection methods and criteria including Penitent, Visual, and X-ray tests
- Basic understanding of Smart Sheets, and/or Microsoft Office suite
- Must be able to work off-shift with minimal notice
- Must be able to travel to different sites as needed (up to 20% travel), Brownsville, TX (78521) will be the main site to report to for all non-travel work
- Must be able to work all shifts and available for overtime and weekends as needed
- Must be able to lift a min. of 25 lbs. unassisted
- Must be able to stand for extended periods – 8 hours min
- Ability to work at elevation (100'+ above ground)
- Must be able to stoop, bend, crawl, and being able to maneuver in tight spaces
- Must pass exam per AWS D17.1
- Ability to pass Air Force background check for Cape Canaveral
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.