SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
LEAD SOFTWARE ENGINEER (SIMULATIONS)
SpaceX is looking for a lead software engineer to build software used to design, develop, and test our in-house simulation software supporting all SpaceX flight systems. We are looking for a talented, creative and driven software leader with a proven track record in solving difficult technical problems. You will help expand the impact of simulation products to improve SpaceX’s ability to design new vehicles and quickly adapt to changes in existing designs.
Our simulation software is critical to future mission successes including Starlink, Falcon Heavy, Crew Dragon and Starship.
If you seek a fast-paced, dynamic environment and if you thrive on solving difficult, fuzzy problems where resolutions have high impact, then this position might be your next career step.
- Directly manage 4-6 flight software engineers in the Simulation software team.
- Provide strong technical leadership with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Develop high-fidelity C++ simulation software for all vehicles.
- Improve reliability and performance of simulation software.
- Work with vehicle software and GNC teams to develop new features for testing in the simulation environment and improve user experiences.
- Drive architecture, design, and code reviews.
- Develop prototypes to prove out key design concepts and quantify technical constraints.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, engineering, math, or science discipline and 4+ years of experience in software development OR 6+ years of experience in software development.
- 2+ years of experience as a lead, manager, or functioning in a technical leadership capacity.
- Professional software development experience in C++.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience delivering robust and scalable software applications
- Simulation or computational physics
- Distributed real-time simulation
- Professional experience developing software in Python
- Effectively worked in large legacy code bases
- Creative approach to problem solving.
- Ability to work effectively in a dynamic environment with changing needs and requirements.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Must be able to work extended hours and weekends as needed.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.