SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SUPPLIER DEVELOPMENT ENGINEER - STARLINK MECHANICAL SYSTEMS
SpaceX demands a new type of supply chain. We require our suppliers to provide premium quality with rapidly evolving designs at increasingly ambitious volumes. We are actively looking for candidates who possess comprehensive knowledge of manufacturing and quality tools and have unrelenting motivation to enable suppliers for success.
- Analyze supplier quality & delivery metrics to identify trends and pinpoint systemic performance gaps and root causes
- Collaborate with procurement team to strategically source parts matched with supplier competencies
- Implement and monitor production part approval process with selected suppliers
- Assure supplier understanding of product and submission requirements
- Develop and approve process controls to control critical characteristics
- Recommend technical product improvements to reduce risk and potential defect opportunities
- Provide support for receiving inspection by preparing and maintaining inspection plans
- Review and assess supplier manufacturing processes and quality systems. Provide feedback as appropriate on manufacturing methods and technologies. Manage supplier improvement plans, and drive to implementation of source inspection approval
- Improve quality performance of suppliers by conducting workshops at supplier locations, providing technical assistance in developing a quality system, or other technical support as required
- Function as liaison between purchasing, engineering, manufacturing and suppliers to resolve supplier quality issues and to provide technical support
- Demonstrate innovation, technical excellence, attention to detail, self-direction, & courage
- Drive for results and customer satisfaction
- Collaborate with teams, lead projects, and continuously drive improvement in the supply base
- Completed bachelor's degree in an engineering field from an ABET accredited university
- 3+ years of experience with manufacturing processes related to machined or mechanical components/structures, or machining processes
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s and master’s degrees in mechanical engineering or materials science
- Experience with manufacturing and inspection of raw materials, machined parts, fabricated components, and/or harnessing
- Demonstrated knowledge of volume production processes i.e. PPAP, APQP, FAIR, etc.
- Technical capabilities including knowledge of 2d 'blueprints' and 'model drawings'. 3D Cad capable (NX preferred)
- Accomplished in GD&T for reading and interpreting drawings for measurement techniques
- Disciplined approach to problem solving - 8d
- Knowledge of lean concepts
- Experienced with sharing information and influencing others (strong written and verbal communication skills, able to liaise cross functionally, internally and externally, make presentations to team members and management)
- Knowledge of statistical techniques and methods (like design of experiments, six sigma, etc.)
- Experience with MRP or ERP systems
- Ability to work extended hours and weekends as needed
- Ability to travel - up to 60-75% work week travel is required, valid driver's license mandatory
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX's Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.