SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
Senior Software Engineer (Space Lasers)
As a software engineer on the Starlink lasers communications team, you will be creating software that is used to design, develop, launch and operate SpaceX’s laser communication software. This initiative is a first of its kind for SpaceX and will involve building completely new technologies from scratch. No aerospace experience is required for this role, rather a proficiency in embedded C++ development and a passion for engineering - this is a perfect match for someone who enjoys R&D work, solving hard problems, and isn't afraid of ambiguous problems.
- Develop highly reliable and available software systems
- Develop prototypes to prove out key design concepts and quantify technical constraints
- Write high quality structured microcontroller and Linux-based software for embedded processors (e.g. ARM, PowerPC, x86, etc.)
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, engineering, math, or science discipline and 4+ years of experience in C/C++ development OR 6+ years of experience in C/C++ development
- 2+ years of experience writing software for embedded systems or Linux using C/C++
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Strong software design and development skills
- Thorough knowledge of systems, computer architecture, software development, networks, and electronics
- Experience developing fault tolerant software
- Have shipped embedded software in high volume products or real-time products that require high reliability and fault tolerance
- Hardware debug experience, including familiarity with tools such as the oscilloscope, logic analyzer, protocol analyzer (SPI, CAN, Ethernet or similar)
- Significant understanding of embedded software principles and ability to contribute in design sessions
- Strong skills in debugging, performance optimization and unit testing
- Effectively worked as a team member and in large code bases
- Creative approach to problem solving and exceptional analytical skills
- Ability to work effectively in a dynamic environment with changing needs and requirements
- Ability to work independently and in a team, take initiative, and communicate effectively
- Willing to work extended hours and weekends when needed
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.