SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
MANUFACTURING ENGINEER (SOLAR ARRAYS)
- Maintain production documentation and process, including engineering masters and work orders used by materials requirements planning
- Coordinate production and integration activities with mechanisms, harnessing, and vehicle integration
- Drive production process improvements, including robotics and automation, to reduce labor and component cost and maximize quality
- Qualification of solar array production processes including soldering, welding, bonding, and encapsulation
- Plan for lean solar array production flow and tooling
- Maintain solar array component designs and documentation during the production phase of product lifetime – including module sub-assemblies, interconnects, harnessing, and battery management electronics
- Update designs when necessary in response to issues such as manufacturing problems, parts obsolescence and minor requirement changes.
- Work with responsible engineers to optimize test process for quality and schedule
- Provide input during solar array development for product manufacturability and test and help transition design from development to production
- Create, maintain, and report product schedule and status
- Manage part and vendor supply chain to ensure a quality product on time
- Bachelor of science degree in electrical, mechanical, aerospace, or manufacturing engineering
- 1 year of experience in design, manufacturing, and/or production of mechanical or electrical hardware systems. Internship and collegiate extracurricular engineering project experience will be considered
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 3 years+ of professional experience in design and/or production of mechanical or electronics hardware systems
- Experience implementing Design for Manufacture and Design for Test
- Ability to create and deliver presentations for design and manufacturing readiness reviews
- Experience transitioning products from design to manufacturing as part of a cross-functional team in a fast-paced iterative design environments
- Experience modeling with 3D CAD software such as: NX/Unigraphics, Catia, Solidworks
- Working proficiency with DFMEA and PFMEA methodology and implementation
- SPC knowledge and experience applying statistical methods to track process capability
- Experience with PCB, PCBA and Electromechanical assembly processes
- Basic competency with SQL databases
- Demonstrated experience designing tooling in a manufacturing environment
- Hands-on engineer with a passion for continuous improvement and building the best hardware
- Capable of solving complex problems with little to no supervision on schedule as an individual or as a member of an integrated team
- Experience in a fast-paced, iterative design environments within the consumer electronics, mobile handset, medical devices, aerospace, marine or automotive industries.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Must be willing to work extended hours and/or extended as needed
- Some travel to outside vendors may be required (up to 10%)
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.