SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
MANUFACTURING ENGINEER (AVIONICS)
- Perform hands-on engineering and liaison role between the design teams and production organization as SpaceX works to iterate on the design and ramp into the manufacturing phase
- Responsible for the manufacturability and introduction into high-rate manufacturing environment
- Contribute to design reviews acting as an expert in design for manufacturability, design for testability, yield improvements, supplier capabilities assessments, quality control, etc.
- Primary point of contact for production non-conforming product, troubleshooting, root cause, failure investigations and corrective actions
- Lead the initial supply chain development for electro-mechanical assembly components
- Tooling design and validation
- Prepare engineering documentation necessary for the transition from development to production including assembly procedures, test procedures, standard operating procedures, schematic diagrams, bills of materials, suitable alternate parts lists and mechanical drawings
- Update designs when necessary in response to manufacturing issues, parts obsolescence, and system requirement changes
- Lead continuous improvement efforts of established product
- Perform structured root cause analysis of in-process failures
- Perform training of production personnel and leadership
- Bachelor of science degree in electrical, mechanical, aerospace, or manufacturing engineering
- 1 year of experience in design, manufacturing, and/or production of mechanical or electrical hardware systems. Internship and collegiate extracurricular engineering project experience will be considered
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 3 years+ of professional experience in design and/or production of mechanical or electronics hardware systems
- Experience implementing Design for Manufacture and Design for Test
- Ability to create and deliver presentations for design and manufacturing readiness reviews
- Experience transitioning products from design to manufacturing as part of a cross-functional team in a fast-paced iterative design environments
- Experience modeling with 3D CAD software such as: NX/Unigraphics, Catia, Solidworks
- Working proficiency with DFMEA and PFMEA methodology and implementation
- SPC knowledge and experience applying statistical methods to track process capability
- Experience with PCB, PCBA and Electromechanical assembly processes
- Basic competency with SQL databases
- Demonstrated experience designing tooling in a manufacturing environment
- Hands-on engineer with a passion for continuous improvement and building the best hardware
- Capable of solving complex problems with little to no supervision on schedule as an individual or as a member of an integrated team
- Experience in a fast-paced, iterative design environments within the consumer electronics, mobile handset, medical devices, aerospace, marine or automotive industries.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Must be willing to work extended hours and/or extended as needed
- Some travel to outside vendors may be required (up to 10%)
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.