SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
AVIONICS INTEGRATION ENGINEER (FALCON)
Want to drive innovation…all the way to Mars? As an Integration Engineer in Falcon Avionics, you will have a unique opportunity to lead a cross functional team of engineers that bridge the gap between design and production; equally anchored in both disciplines with the ability to spearhead change at the inception of product development, through production, to vehicle system checkout.
You will be expected to implement changes to avionics systems vehicle design, define new processes, develop automation, design and build test hardware to improve reliability and rate of the of the production vehicle. You will actively manage a fleet of reusable Falcon Stage 1 and Fairings. You will shape the avionics system test infrastructure and vehicle design. You will be responsible for designing hardware that meets customer requirements and developing concepts of operations for validating the design on the Falcon 9 vehicle. You will support electrical integration and test operations on the flight vehicle. You will put your engineering knowledge to the test, by performing real-time troubleshooting on the vehicle as it goes through the integration phase. Our fundamental goal is to allow humanity to explore the stars; with it comes extreme responsibility to ensure the safety of the crew and payload. Are you up for the challenge?
- Represent the avionics system in vehicle-level cross-disciplinary trades and troubleshoot issues on prototype and production assemblies on an aggressive production schedule
- Work collaboratively with other teams to define the scope of potential development projects and initial product requirements as new designs move from concept, through prototype, and into production
- Perform design and manufacturing assessments of new designs and drive optimization for manufacturability, quality, and cost
- Create, maintain and communicate product development schedules with sufficient detail to ensure that all assigned personnel are aware of theirs tasks and deadlines
- Identify internal and external resources required to support the product development schedule; work with department management to ensure that these resources are assigned to the project
- Verify avionics system test coverage on flight and flight-representative hardware at the system-level and validate the as-built vehicle is “go for launch”
- Support hardware testing at customer facility and launch site to validate SpaceX design meets customer spacecraft requirements and specifications
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline
- 2+ years of experience with system-level integration of electronic components, machining, sheet metal fabrication, or system-level testing
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 3+ years of professional experience system-level integration of electronic components, machining, sheet metal fabrication, or system-level testing
- Experience leading project teams such as Formula SAE or Hybrid Electric Vehicle
- Experience with wire harnesses and associated sub-components
- Experience installing and troubleshooting various electronic sensors and components
- Competence with electrical test equipment (multimeters, oscilloscopes, power supplies, etc.)
- Experience with 3D CAD software
- Experience with written and visual work instructions
- Creative problem solver that can bring multiple disciplines together with the ability to assess risk and make design and development decisions without all available data
- Strong sense of accountability and integrity with excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Self-motivated with strong multi-tasking, organizational, communication and documentation skills
- Ability to work in a fast paced, autonomously driven, and demanding atmosphere
- Must be able to work extended hours and weekends as needed. Some travel will be required.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.