SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
- Actively participate in the design, fabrication and installation of simple and complex tools that help manufacture and launch current and future rockets
- Provide expertise with respect to cost and complexity reduction during design phase and manage fabrication of critical tools
- Create, revise, and maintain planning documents to produce ground support equipment and assemblies which conform to design specifications
- Interpret technical drawings and documents with regards to manufacturing, database systems, and fabrication processes to create accurate manufacturing planning
- Validate and ensure planning documents are maintained throughout the manufacturing cycle
- Interact with Numeric Control (N/C) programmers, welders, shop personnel and outside suppliers to ensure flawless and timely execution of assigned projects
- Manage and define raw materials and hardware requirements and facilitate purchasing directly from blueprints as applicable
- Release projects for manufacturing and verify all critical information is provided to complete the project(s)
- Coordinate with manufacturing team, internally and externally, for changes on manufacturing sequences and update planning accordingly
- Process the necessary documentation to complete job assignments and resolve discrepancies in order to expedite the flow of materials and fabrication
- Communicate status to end user/requestor on regular basis and as requested, notify requestor if deadlines will not be met
- Travel, as required, to domestic SpaceX sites as well as vendors to support fabrication and installation of assigned projects
- Creatively work projects based on company priorities to meet and exceed aggressive need dates
- Bachelor's degree in mechanical or manufacturing engineering
- Experience in a shop fabrication environment
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Tooling manufacturing experience within the aerospace, automotive or metal fabrication industries desired.
- Project management experience in fabrication shop environment.
- Previous professional or academic experience reading blueprints and CAD system models.
- Knowledge of 3, 4 & 5 Axis CNC Milling, welding, waterjet programming, tooling fabrication and assembly
- Must be comfortable interacting daily with design engineers as well as shop floor technicians
- 3D CAD system experience with Solidworks/CATIA, or MasterCAM. Teamcenter UG 7.5 is a plus
- Positive, "can-do" attitude and ability to work in a very fast paced environment
- Proactive, self-starter attitude and ability to follow up on projects from womb to tomb
- Proficiency with MS Excel, Word, OneNote, Project & Outlook
- Skilled in reading and interpreting engineering drawings, parts lists, and specifications
- Strong analytical, computer, and written skills
- Interact with internal and external fabrication resources and drive assigned projects to on-time completion
- Must be mechanically inclined, proficient with all types of hand tools
- Physical effort including standing, lifting and carrying moderately heavy materials or equipment (15 to 35 lbs.)
- Ability to spend time at sea for days at a time
- Occasional travel may be required
- Willingness to work outdoors
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.