SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
Senior Software Engineer (Starlink User Terminals)
As a software engineer on the Starlink User Terminals team, you will be creating software that is used to design, develop, launch and operate SpaceX’s satellite-based internet connectivity systems. The user terminals are essential in connecting customers to the internet via our satellite constellation. You will engage with other SpaceX engineers to discover the needs of the mission and write highly reliable software that turns the mission into a reality. You will be responsible for the complete lifecycle of the software you create, from development to testing to operation during a mission.
- Develop highly reliable and available software systems
- Board bring-up of next-generation avionics computers
- Develop prototypes to prove out key design concepts and quantify technical constraints
- Own all aspects of software development, including design, testing, and mission integration
- Write high quality structured bare metal and Linux-based software for embedded processors (e.g. ARM, PowerPC, x86, etc.)
- Develop solutions to bridge the gap between OS platform software, flight software, antenna software, and modem software
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, engineering, math, or science discipline and 4+ years of experience in C/C++ development OR 6+ years of experience in C/C++ development without a degree
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Strong software design and development skills
- Experience developing software for RF communications systems such as phased arrays, antennas, and wireless networking
- Knowledge of digital communication systems, single and multi-carrier techniques and modulation types such as QPSK, APSK and QAM
- Understanding of RF concepts such as AGC, noise figure, power amplifier, phase noise, PLL, oscillators/mixers
- Experience in systems-level C (Linux kernel, device drivers)
- Have shipped embedded software in high volume products or real-time products that require high reliability and fault tolerance
- Thorough knowledge of systems, computer architecture, software development, networks, and electronics
- Strong skills in debugging, performance optimization and unit testing
- Effectively worked as a team member and in large code bases
- Creative approach to problem solving and exceptional analytical skills
- Ability to work effectively in a dynamic environment with changing needs and requirements
- Ability to work independently and in a team, take initiative, and communicate effectively
- Willing to work extended hours and weekends when needed
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.