SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
MECHANICAL DESIGN ENGINEER (TOP SECRET CLEARED)
Work with a brilliant and passionate team of engineers to own the design and development of mechanical systems for the world’s most cutting-edge rockets and space structures.
- Design and certify mechanisms, actuators, and other electromechanical systems that meet customer and SpaceX requirements for next generation rockets and space structures.
- Utilize the full spectrum of the design, analysis, test, and manufacturing tools to create efficient structures and reliable mechanisms.
- Develop test plans for mechanisms and spacecraft structures through development, qualification, and acceptance testing.
- Own product delivery timeline through conception, design, assembly and launch.
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering discipline.
- Experience with CAD and FEA software packages.
- 1+ years of demonstrated experience with mechanical/electromechanical design and analysis.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree in engineering or a related technical discipline.
- Solid understanding and application of GD&T.
- Hands-on project experience with complex mechanical systems.
- Demonstrated understanding of structural analysis and failure modes of complex mechanical systems.
- Self-motivated with strong organizational, written, and oral communication skills.
- Active Top Secret or Top Secret SCI clearance. Note that an active clearance may provide the opportunity for you to work on sensitive SpaceX missions. If so, you will be subject to pre-employment drug and random drug and alcohol testing.
- Must be willing to travel to other SpaceX offices and customer locations as needed.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.