SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
FRICTION STIR WELD TECHNICIAN
- Support hardware delivery projects for the development of structural components supporting the SpaceX family of products.
- Support set up tooling and materials for friction stir welding projects under the direction of friction stir weld engineers and managers.
- Assist with set up and operation of friction stir welding equipment.
- Train in periodic maintenance on friction stir weld equipment.
- Support friction stir weld production process under the direction of friction stir weld engineers and managers.
- High school diploma or equivalency certificate.
- Experience using hand tools (grinders, torque wrenches, etc.).
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Associate degree in a technical field or Bachelor's degree in a STEM field
- 3+ years of experience in all or one of the following fields:
- Structures assembly
- Relevant friction stir welding experience.
- Military experience.
- 3+ years of metal fabrication experience.
- Prior experience working in a machine shop with CNC knowledge.
- Experience working within a manufacturing or production environment
- Basic knowledge of metallurgy of materials and joining processes.
- Ability to perform basic shop mathematical skills such as fractional math and trigonometry.
- Certifications from an accredited welding school.
- Ability to meet deadlines and have a “whatever it takes” attitude to complete assignments.
- Practical mechanical knowledge.
- Must be able to lift at least 25 lbs. unassisted.
- Must be willing to travel. Up to 5% travel.
- Must be able to climb ladders and work in tight spaces.
- Must be willing to work all shifts, overtime, and weekends as needed.
- Ability to pass Air Force background checks for Cape Canaveral and Vandenberg.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.