SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SATELLITE ATTITUDE DETERMINATION & CONTROL (ADCS) ENGINEER
- Design and analysis of satellite attitude determination and control systems.
- ADCS hardware performance specification including reaction wheel and torque rod sizing, sensor noise and performance characteristics, redundancy and fault management.
- Develop high fidelity 6 degree of freedom single and multi-vehicle simulation using C++.
- Implement closed loop pointing, orbit raising, and station keeping algorithms.
- Analyze platform stability to ensure low jitter of line-of-sight instruments.
- Various first principles derived analyses.
- Bachelor's degree in physics or an engineering discipline.
- Software development experience in C++ or Python.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Active Top Secret or Top Secret SCI clearance.
- Master's degree or PhD in physics or an engineering discipline.
- Demonstrated project or professional experience in either satellite attitude determination and control or orbit raising and station keeping.
- Experience with flexible body control, orbital maneuvering, filtering, fault management, software development, and navigation filtering.
- Strong understanding of classical dynamics, orbital mechanics, modeling and simulation, and software development.
- Cradle to grave development of three axis stabilized spacecraft incorporating momentum, magnetic, and propulsive control.
- Low thrust trajectory optimization for orbital maneuvering.
- Capable of identifying and solving complex problems with little to no supervision or direction.
- Passion for advancing the commercial space industry.
- Ability to work in a fast paced, autonomously driven, and demanding start-up atmosphere.
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
- Must be willing to travel.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.