SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SUPERVISOR, TANK FABRICATION
The Tank Fabrication Supervisor is responsible for leading a team of fabricators, welders, and technicians building the Primary and Secondary structures for the Starship and Super Heavy vehicles. The Tank Fabrication Supervisor is the most influential person on-site to drive progress on an hour-by-hour and day-by-day basis. The Supervisor of the team will take technical direction from the Engineering team and turn it into reality by building, retaining, and managing their team effectively; distributing labor resources, prioritizing certain aspects of the build, and setting headcount requirements where necessary. The Supervisor is also a key enabler to a productive, fun, and hard-working culture. For this role specifically, it is highly important that the Supervisor is an inspiring leader, often-times working side by side with their build team.
- Oversee day to day team needs (i.e. parts, tools, consumables)
- Monitor and implement area safety requirements and improvements
- Coordinate shop logistics and activity, including daily schedules, work flow, and engineering support
- Set and accomplish daily production goals in accordance with overall department delivery goals
- Effectively communicate with management/supervisors, engineering staff and planners to achieve build efficiency
- Identify and task team members appropriately to their skill level
- Lead and oversee installation and assembly of custom and off-the-shelf tooling and machinery for building primary tank structure
- High school diploma or GED
- 5+ years of experience welding either stainless steel, carbon steel, inconel, or aluminum
- 5+ years of experience with any of the following: tank fabrication, elevated steel structure fabrication, elevated work, sheetmetal work
- 2+ years of supervisory or leadership experience effectively distributing labor resources and building teams
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 2+ years of experience with any of the following: welding, tank fabrication, elevated steel structure fabrication, elevated work, sheetmetal work
- 1+ years of experience with machining, complex assembly, or aircraft/space vehicle integration
- 5+ years of experience leading teams to meet tight deadlines
- Familiarity and/or experience with flux-cored arc welding (FCAW), submerged arc welding (SAW), gas metal arc welding (GMAW) processes
- Familiarity with and knowledge of use of safety systems at elevation
- Experience reading and interpreting engineering drawings, blueprints, weld callouts and specifications
- Experience with overhead cranes and forklifts
- Experience in machining and fabrication proficiencies:
- Vertical mill, holding tight tolerances and correct material setups
- Lathe, holding tight tolerances and correct material setups
- Various power tools such as drills, saws, and pneumatic die grinders, etc.
- Utilize proper tools for precision measuring
- Basic knowledge of inherent non-destructive evaluation (NDE) inspection methods and criteria including penetrant, visual, and x-ray testing
- Intermediate skill level using Windows operating systems
- Intermediate skill level using Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Outlook, OneNote)
- Ability to effectively lead a team and maximize productivity and well-being of the team
- Ability to work multiple shifts and change shifts with minimal notice
- Ability to be on-site within 8 hrs of request except during vacations, rest periods, etc.
- Ability to travel to different sites, as needed, up to 20% travel (Brownsville, TX (78521) will be the main site to report to for all non-travel work)
- Ability to lift heavy objects (up to 50 lbs.) unassisted
- Ability to perform job duties that require standing, kneeling, crouching, twisting upper body, working in cramped positions in small openings and climbing hand over hand
- Ability to work at elevated heights (up to 100 feet)
- Typically exposed to work in extreme outdoor environments – heat, cold, rain
- Work performed in an environment requiring exposure to fumes, odors, and noise
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.