SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
LEAD SENSORS DEVELOPMENT ENGINEER
Our Sensors and Optics Development team works to design and manufacture high performance electronic and optical sensors for the world's most advanced launch vehicles and spacecraft. The team designs sensors ranging from smart digital transducers to sophisticated tracking laser range finders. The designs have small production volumes, but operate in demanding environments and undergo extensive testing and analysis with a strong focus on robust operation. We are seeking experienced, innovative technical leaders to help build the world's next generation of space transports.
- Lead a small, diverse team of engineers and scientists in the development of an array of sensors
- Challenge the team to innovate with new technology while grounding them in product reliability and test
- Inspire the team to robustly engineer solutions, with an understanding of the system architecture using data from the sensor and environmental levels or other mission concerns
- Manage resource allocation of the individual team members amongst a collection of active projects
- Represent team to management communicating schedules, technical progress and resource needs
- Hire talent and actively maintain diverse skill set of team
- Bachelor’s degree in physics, robotics, electrical engineering or computer science
- 1+ years of experience managing direct reports
- 4+ years of experience with the development of sensor and/or electronic hardware
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree or PhD in physics, robotics, electrical engineering or computer science
- Experience with high reliability products such as automotive, medical or aerospace
- Ability to work alongside team members and inspire project outcomes through hands-on contributions
- Project management experience from design to production of multiple technical projects
- Experience in a fast-paced test environment with flight hardware
- Experience with CAD and FEA, schematic capture, C/C++ programming, big data, VHDL, and optics
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.