SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SR. ELECTRO-MECHANICAL DESIGN ENGINEER, COMPONENT
The Avionics group is responsible for the design, development, testing, analysis and integration of all the electronic hardware for SpaceX vehicles; this includes hardware such as power electronics, flight computers, antennas, and navigational sensors.
- Design packaging solutions for electro-mechanical assemblies specializing in sensors and electro-optical systems
- Thermal, structural, and tolerance analysis for electro-mechanical assemblies using both hand calculations and finite element analysis
- Participate in initial mechanical design, 3D modeling, creation of production drawings, and maintenance of design data
- Failure analysis of components as it relates to thermal, loads, vibration, and shock
- Interface with machine shops and production teams to ensure final designs can be produced in accordance with overall project goals
- Selection of materials and management of material properties for design
- Bachelor's degree in mechanical or electro-mechanical engineering
- 4+ years of professional experience in the design and packaging of mechanical and electrical systems
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Experience working with PCB designers and exposure to PCB layout
- Experience with ruggedizing delicate scientific instruments
- Exposure to high volume production designs with a focus on design for manufacturability
- Experience with high vibration environments
- Working knowledge of thermal and structural FEA studies
- Experience with fatigue and thermal testing of electro-mechanical assemblies
- Experience with NX
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.