SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
IT Systems Engineer – ELK Stack
SpaceX is looking for an experienced engineer with deep knowledge and broad experience across Linux-based technologies. This employee will be a member of the Information Security team and will support internal software, automation, and security operations, amongst other business users with a specific focus on ELK (ElasticSearch, Logstash, and Kibana) and related technologies (Kafka, Search Guard, Fluentd, etc). The ideal candidate will be flexible and flourish in a fast paced and challenging environment. He or she should be a self-starter, self-motivator and possess ingenuity to excel at this position.
- Work closely with other SpaceX engineers to gather requirements, research, evaluate, design, plan, deploy, and support Linux-based / open source software platforms and related technologies in a world-class environment that meets the needs of the demanding SpaceX engineering teams. Build highly-resilient, high-performance, scalable, and flexible systems.
- Maintain, support, and troubleshoot the ELK technology suite (ElasticSearch, Logstash, and Kibana) and related technologies (Kafka, Search Guard, Fluentd, etc) used for logging, searching, troubleshooting, and incident response at SpaceX.
- Exercise a high degree of responsibility for the processes, systems, and tools created and managed; all supporting the goal of making humanity an interplanetary species.
- Architect, design, build/update, deploy and support custom tools, scripts and integrations that provide systemic automation to tasks that need to be performed on top of log infrastructure.
- Maintain and administer applications built on top of Linux operating systems.
- 5+ years of Linux systems administration and scripting/automation experience.
- Experience administering, building, and/or deploying the ELK stack (ElasticSearch, Logstash, and Kibana).
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Expertise with Python.
- Completed bachelor’s degree in engineering, computer science, information systems/IT, applied mathematics, physics, or similar technical discipline.
- Strong understanding of Puppet, Ansible, or other automation frameworks.
- Understanding of databases and data modeling.
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
- Demonstrated technical project management skills.
- Track record of getting things done quickly and with quality.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.