SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
AVIONICS TECHNICAL WRITER (TEST LAB)
- Interact with engineers, subject matter experts, and production personnel to create and edit test work instructions and test process documents that are accurate and comprehensible, in a web-based environment and in Microsoft Word
- Interpret engineering documentation to create accurate technician-oriented work instructions and process documents that fully meet engineering specifications
- Incorporate redlines from engineering and production into existing documents and web-based instructions
- Maximize test efficiency and reduce the probability of technician error
- Take ownership of the process of test instruction creation and movement, pulling resources from responsible parties in Engineering and Production
- Assist with and coordinate for the standardization of test instruction authored among the Avionics technical writers and beyond
- Collaboratively implement process improvements to the test lab’s access to and use of information
- Creatively produce solutions for special projects: technical, training, graphic design, web content design, or workflow development
- Work with test instructions and process documents within version control software and documentation release systems in order to preserve and manage the integrity and configuration of the documentation
- Bachelor’s degree
- 2 years of experience in planning or technical writing
- Experience with the testing of electronics
- Experience converting engineering instructions and information into content intended for a variety of audiences and ability levels
- Experience using Microsoft products including Word and Visio.
- Experience with creation and editing of 2D and 3D graphics, both raster- and vector-based
- Experience with Adobe Acrobat
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Technical writing experience in automotive or aviation industries.
- Capacity to read and understand technical drawings and schematics
- Familiarity with HTML and CSS
- Familiarity with single-source publishing and content management software
- Ability to work under deadlines and to deliver in the midst of changes in project direction
- Ability to creatively overhaul and re-design any project or workflow to optimize comprehension, while meeting requirements
- Ability to communicate and collaborate with diverse co-workers and personalities in engineering, production, and management; to have insight into their changing needs
- Taking engineering instructions and able to translate that information to all audiences.
- Ability to quickly learn, absorb, and apply technical content to further develop understanding of electronics testing processes
- Strong analytical, project management, computer, communication, and writing skills (typing, spelling, grammar)
- Familiarity with mechanical processes in a manufacturing environment
- Must be willing to work extended hours and weekends as needed
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.