SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
LEAD MANUFACTURING ENGINEER (COMPOSITES)
As a Lead Manufacturing Engineer at SpaceX you will have the opportunity to utilize your knowledge, experience, and creativity to develop novel solutions at the cutting edge of space technology. You will work on launch vehicles and spacecraft that will deliver satellites into earth orbit, ferry humans to and from the international space station, and ultimately extend humanity’s reach beyond the earth and moon. You will own the relationship between our development and production teams. You will provide input into the design and development of new and existing hardware and take a lead role in manufacturing and integration on our current and next generation vehicles.
- Lead a team of manufacturing engineers in production
- Work with Production to create and maintain build schedules that list all discrete fabrication, assembly, and test tasks
- Ensure that all systems are fabricated, assembled, and tested to facilitate the build schedules
- Resolve and analyze manufacturing and test discrepancies, while interfacing with the quality team (e.g., resolving issues for design, fabrication, and assembly)
- Work closely with development and design engineers, internal machine shops and external vendors to make parts that are designed for manufacturability
- Set goals and objectives for team members for the achievement of operational results
Coach and support professional development of direct reports
- Bachelor’s degree in aerospace, mechanical, welding or materials engineering
- 3+ years of experience working with fluid system components, welding, or carbon overwrapped pressure vessels
- Previous experience leading a team of engineers
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree in aerospace, mechanical, welding or materials engineering
- 2+ years of experience leading a team of 3+ individuals either as a project leader or as direct reports
- Experience with spacecraft or aircraft propulsion/environmental control systems
- Experience with fluid or gas handling systems
- Knowledge of metallic structures and various metallic welding techniques, COPV design and manufacture, and testing of pressurized systems
- Experience with instrumentation and data acquisition, including familiarity with LabVIEW software
- Must be available to work long hours and weekends as needed
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.