SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SR. FIRMWARE ENGINEER
The embedded software team is responsible for architecting, developing and verifying firmware for SpaceX vehicles. The team works closely with electrical engineers, software engineers and customers across the company to deliver high quality products on a rapid development schedule. Successful applicants will take responsibility for the development, testing and deployment of mission-critical avionics systems as part of a close-knit team of exceptional software engineers.
- Deliver highly reliable embedded software for SpaceX designed hardware
- Work with engineers across the department to develop new products, from prototype through production and flight
- Take ownership of your firmware products, including verification testing and writing documentation
- Follow the SpaceX flight software development process and write great software for manned spaceflight
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering, math or science discipline
- 6+ years of experience delivering fault tolerant embedded software
- Development experience in C, C++, and embedded software development
- 2+ years of microprocessor development experience
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master's degree or PhD in computer science or another engineering discipline
- Experience programming and testing high reliability, safety critical, and fault tolerant systems
- Significant understanding of embedded software principles and ability to contribute in design sessions
- Experience writing software for real-time systems
- Working experience of microprocessor technology including (but not limited to); PowerPC, ARM, OMAP, etc.
- EE design experience
- Excellent leadership, communication and teamwork skills
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.