SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
The transport technician is responsible for the coordination and safe transport of SpaceX flight modules from origin to destination.
- Responsible for the entire transport crew and support staff during transit and hand-off operations, including accompanying SpaceX personnel (logistics technicians, tiller operators, spotters) and outside contracted vendors (truck drivers, pole cars, private escorts)
- Reviews all transportation documentation prior to departure to ensure transport strategy is in proper order for flight vehicle transport (permits, height checklist, pre/post trip). Prepare contingency plans to mitigate risk.
- Travels with the assigned flight module at all times (Hawthorne, CA.-McGregor TX, Hawthorne, CA.-Cape Canaveral, FL., Hawthorne, CA. – Vandenberg, CA. McGregor, TX.-Cape Canaveral, FL., McGregor-Vandenberg, CA.)
- Provides input and recommendations in compliance with DOT/CFR regulations to logistics and manufacturing for development and improvements to new and existing transport hardware
- Evaluates in-transit risks and provides on-site solutions to alleviate risk. Including: routing, repairs, escorts, and drivers
- Will utilize master production schedule to coordinate resources ensuring teams and transport hardware/equipment are available
- Oversees the accurate compilation and recording of pre, daily, and post trip inspections, security meetings, permit/route reviews, and procedural adherence
- Develops, documents, and coordinates work instructions with logistics management teams to ensure efficient packaging of flight vehicles, modules, and equipment is maintained
- Creates/maintains reports, presentations, and metrics as required to add value to organization and company development
- Manages the development and implementation of annual and long-term technical, schedule, quality, business, and financial objectives for logistic activities and participate in the development of overall annual and long-term objectives
- Makes recommendations to logistics management to improve the health, timing, and safety of all movements
- Communicate with cross functional teams, prioritize multiple tasks, follow through projects to completion, come up with creative ideas that make processes more efficient, and adapt to an ever changing fast paced environment
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant work experience in a logistics environment
- Minimum of 1 year of experience working with oversize load transport and inventory processes
- Minimum of 1 year of hands-on experience with preparing loads (rigging and packaging)
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's degree
- Knowledge and experience in transport equipment (tractor & trailer) design/maintenance
- Knowledge of DOT (Department of Transportation) regulations and CFR (Code of Federal regulations)
- Experience with scheduling and production work instructions to manufacture hardware
- Stellar communication skill, both written and verbal
- Ability to use sound logic when faced with difficult decisions in high-pressure scenarios
- Organized, detail oriented and able to multi-task, while also working within time constraints and deadlines
- Ability to challenge and debate issues of importance within the organization
- Ability to operate in an extremely fast paced environment
- Advanced skills with MS Office Suite
- Must be available to work significant overtime and weekends, as necessary
- Must be available to travel 80-90% of the time
- Must possess a valid US driver’s license
- Ability to pass Air Force background checks for Cape Canaveral and Vandenberg
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.