SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
MATERIALS ENGINEER, CERAMIST
As the Ceramist you will be responsible for characterization and optimization of investment casting shells, as well as finding, reviewing, and integrating new technologies for both development and production. You will also transition quickly and seamlessly between research and production environments.
- Provide materials and process support to all aspects of ceramic shells for investment casting
- Take initiative in problem solving, cost reductions, and process improvement
- Work with design engineers and tooling engineers to take products from design to production
- Use your strength in fundamental physical and materials science principles to drive production and design changes that result in superior products
- Work with quality engineers to reduce defects and maintain high yield rates
- Build data that shows relationships between processing operations and final quality
- Provide hands-on support to manufacturing and test areas when developing prototypes and production hardware
- Bachelor’s degree in ceramics engineering, materials science, metallurgy, or other technical discipline
- 3+ years of professional experience with characterization and optimization of ceramics processing
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- PhD in material science or materials engineering
- Expert level first principle engineering knowledge of metals and other materials
- Hands-on experience processing ceramics laboratory samples for characterization of powder, slurry, green, and fired ceramics
- Knowledge of physical and mechanical properties as well as evaluation methods (tensile strength, hardness, fatigue, fracture toughness, creep, stress rupture, SEM, non-destructive inspection, spectroscopy)
- Experience with titanium, super alloy, and ferrous investment casting manufacturing processes including pattern making, die design, process control, product design standards, and quality systems
- Strong knowledge of process and material-related defect formation and prevention
- Experience with laboratory controls
- Demonstrated research ability and strong project execution skills with a customer focus
- SQL or other programming skills
- Strong problem solving skills
- Travel as needed to suppliers and other SpaceX sites
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.