SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
COUNSEL, EXPORT COMPLIANCE OFFICER
- Provide expert advice and guidance concerning the requirements and obligations for handling export-controlled defense articles, technical data and defense services under the International Traffic and Arms Regulations (ITAR) and items and technology under the Export Administrations Regulations (EAR)
- Design and implement elements of an effective export compliance program under the ITAR and the EAR, including drafting compliance policies and procedures and administering training
- Make jurisdiction and classification determinations in coordination with engineering teams
- Prepare and manage export licenses and agreements requiring United States (U.S.) government approval and license exceptions
- Coordinate interactions with relevant U.S. government agencies and officials on export issues
- Investigate all matters of potential non-compliance, coordinate a report of finding with senior management and prepare voluntary disclosures, in coordination with outside advisors/counsel, and direct corrective actions
- Provide expert advice and guidance concerning economic sanctions compliance administered by the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC)
- Conduct and participate in internal compliance audits
- Conduct legal reviews of commercial contracts for procurement of goods and services
- Provide counsel on laws and regulations affecting internet service providers
- Juris Doctorate degree
- Active licensed attorney
- 3+ years of experience working with export laws or regulations in a corporate law department or law firm
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Home office in Washington, D.C.
- Previous sustained experience in international trade compliance
- Comprehensive and up-to-date knowledge of U.S. export laws and regulations, including changes pursuant to Export Control Reform
- Experience with U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) regulations and compliance
- Experience working in or with the satellite industry or internet service providers
- Excellent academic credentials, writing, communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills
- Proven ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment
- Detail oriented individual with a high degree of accuracy
- Ability to work effectively in a team-oriented environment
- Exemplary standards of personal and professional integrity
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.