SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
Manufacturing Engineer - Propulsion Supply Chain
As a Supply Chain Manufacturing Engineer at SpaceX you will have the opportunity to utilize your knowledge, experience, and creativity to develop novel solutions at the cutting edge of space technology. You will work on hardware that will deliver satellites into earth orbit, ferry humans to and from the international space station, and ultimately extend humanity’s reach beyond the earth and moon. You will own the relationship between our engineering and Supply Chain teams. You will provide input into the design and development of new and existing hardware and take a lead role in manufacturing and integration within Supply Chain on our current and next generation vehicles.
- Provide engineering support for product design and process improvements to improve manufacturing efficiency, ensure product quality, and lower costs for new and existing products throughout the Supply Chain
- Integrate with the Responsible Engineering team and support the analysis and disposition of supplier non-conformances
- Resolve component and finished product failures and focus actions on the root cause. Assure supplier compliance to procedures and assist in supplier corrective actions and resolution to audit findings
- Execute successful work transfer when required, including the buildup of supplier facility infrastructure, the transfer of product knowledge, and the development of equipment required to qualify product
- Develop and maintain the documentation necessary, including external supplier documentation, to ensure consistent manufacture of products
- Use project management skills and tools to investigate and lead projects for alternate component technologies for reduced cost or improved quality and reliability
- Identify and assess suppliers for technical, quality and manufacturing capabilities and opportunities to support SpaceX business strategies
- Define, procure and support test equipment at suppliers
- Bachelor's degree in in aerospace, mechanical, electrical, manufacturing, systems engineering, or similar technical discipline
- 3 years of experience in a manufacturing environment
- Lean manufacturing, six sigma, or similar process improvement experience
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Master of Science in aerospace, mechanical, systems or manufacturing engineering
- Design for manufacturability and assembly experience
- Knowledge of principles of chemistry, engineering, fluid dynamics and mechanics of materials
- Design and analysis (Finite Element Analysis (FEA)/structural/static loads) experience
- Experience with capacity modeling, process mapping and fault analysis
- Pareto analysis, root cause and corrective action experience. Experience performing PFMEAs
- Experience using LabVIEW
- CAD experience
- Geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T) experience
- Position may require extended hours and weekend work as needed
- This is a hands-on position that requires one to be on their feet for up to 4+ hours a day. Will sometimes be working directly with the hardware on the floor and will have to be comfortable stooping, bending, and standing
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.