SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
LEAD ELECTRICAL ENGINEER
We are looking for a talented, creative and driven lead electrical engineer to build and lead a team that will deliver the electronics for a high volume user terminal and medium volume gateway. You will architect, define, design, and lead the implementation of the electronics for our satellite-based internet service’s user terminal and gateway in partnership with the software, silicon, manufacturing teams.
The success of this business depends on the quality, reliability, cost, manufacturability, throughput, security, and user experience, of the products that you and your team deliver.
If you seek a fast-paced, dynamic environment; if you thrive on solving difficult, fuzzy problems where resolutions have high impact; if you love managing through persuasion and if you love the challenge of building something from scratch, then this position might be your next career step.
- Lead the development and design of low cost, highly reliable electronics for the user terminal.
- Lead the development and design of low cost, highly reliable electronics for the gateway.
- Recruit, interview, and build teams of exceptional engineers.
- Drive electrical architecture, specification, component selection, circuit board design, implementation, verification, silicon and board bring up, debug, productization, and manufacturing.
- Partner with software, mechanical, thermal, manufacturing test, manufacturing teams and business teams.
- Bachelor's degree in electrical or computer engineering.
- 5+ years of designing electronics for low cost high volume products.
- 3+ years of leading technical teams and projects.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Advanced degree in electrical or computer engineering.
- 7+ years of experience with designing and implementing of analog, digital or mixed-signal, power circuit boards from concept through production using operational amplifiers, filters, and transistors, analog to digital and digital to analog converters, power supply components, multi-GHz Serdes, DRAM interfaces (DDR4), CAN, I2C, Ethernet, SPI, FPGAs, ASICs, and processors.
- 7+ years of experience with testing/troubleshooting/qualification techniques, signal integrity, layout and grounding principles.
- 5+ Experience with low cost consumer electronics devices, systems utilizing highly integrated system on a chip solutions.
- 5+ years of experience with DFx (EMC, EMI, reliability, manufacturability, test, etc.).
- Strong emphasis on full lifecycle development of new hardware systems -- not small incremental updates to legacy hardware.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a highly cross-functional leadership role.
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
- Able to deal with ambiguity.
- Must be available to work extended hours and weekends as needed.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.