SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
POWER ELECTRONICS ENGINEER
- Provide engineering expertise in the area of design, analysis, and testing of spacecraft power electronics and DC-DC power converters 0.5W to 5kW.
- Work on electrical power system and sub-system level design trades and develop requirements.
- Define and perform electrical power system verification testing and analysis.
- Work with multidisciplinary teams of design, test, and production engineers to create new power electronics hardware.
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering.
- 4+ years of experience in power converter development.
- Previous experience with DC-DC power converter development.
- Previous experience working with magnetics and design of custom transformers and inductors, including planar magnetics.
- Experience in modeling, simulation, and testing of power electronics.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s or Ph.D. degree in electrical engineering.
- Working experience in current mode control, compensation design, and loop gain measurements.
- Strong grasp on power converter topologies and ability to select power converter architectures.
- Familiarity with spacecraft electrical power systems and knowledge of radiation effects.
- Experience with digital power supply compensation.
- Maximum power point tracker design and development.
- Power supply testing and packaging for harsh environments.
- Familiarity with lithium-ion battery handling, safety, and usage.
- Must be available to work extended hours and weekends as needed.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.