SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
- Supervise shop floor activity, including daily schedules and workflow. Maintain Smartsheet updates on future tests.
- Resolve Material Review Board issues.
- Lead and manage a staff of ~30 technicians including all performance management related tasks.
- Coordinate with Engineering and other departments to minimize production interruptions.
- Review work instructions and make change recommendations when needed.
- Responsible for assessing & vetting the appropriate skillset needed.
- Identifying training needs and developing training programs.
- Provide required data & reporting to support departmental metrics and improvement objectives.
- Monitor labor hours and overtime, and implement improvement plans and time management with staff.
- Accomplishes production results by communicating job expectations; planning, monitoring, appraising job results.
- Maintains work flow by monitoring steps of the process; setting processing variables; observing control points and equipment; monitoring personnel and resources; studying methods.
- Develop and implement cost reductions processes and efficiency improvement measures.
- Initiating and fostering a spirit of cooperation within and between departments.
- Production risk identification and mitigation.
- Ensure product quality and conformance to specifications.
- Maintain tooling and consumable supply inventory.
- Improve area safety and efficiency through regular auditing and continuous improvement.
- Continuously improving process and manpower efficiency, utilization and productivity.
- Minimum of 6 years in aerospace/aviation (airframe, launch vehicle, or military).
- Minimum of 2 years in management.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience monitoring, tracking and continually improving total cost equation.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience with applying lean manufacturing principles, and efficiency methods.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- SpaceX experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering field.
- Experience bringing teams and processes from development to production desirable.
- Safety training and/or safety certifications.
- Able to adapt to constantly changing work assignments and fast-paced work environment.
- Excellent concentration and attention to detail with outstanding work efficiency and accuracy.
- Ability to effectively communicate (verbal and written) with engineering and production.
- Familiarity with Design for Manufacturability, Kaizen, Lean Manufacturing, Six Sigma, and Failure Mode Effects Analysis.
- Able to travel for short and extended trips as needed. Up to 20% travel.
- Must be available for all shifts, extended hours and weekends as needed.
- Must be able to stand for extended periods – 8 hours min.
- Ability to pass Air Force background checks for Cape Canaveral and Vandenberg.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.