SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
PRODUCT DESIGN ENGINEER
Our Vehicle Engineering team tackles space exploration’s toughest problems through the development of our reusable launch vehicles and spacecraft: Falcon 9, Dragon, Crew Dragon, Falcon Heavy, and the BFR (Big Falcon Rocket). Currently responsible for delivering satellites into orbit and cargo to the ISS, these vehicles will be instrumental in extending humanity’s reach to the moon, Mars, and beyond. As a Structures Design Engineer, you will design custom hardware for various programs.
- Design custom hardware and maintain documentation.
- Design and test structures and fluid systems.
- Update drawings to support manufacturing with engineering change orders.
- Oversee project documentation.
- Create detailed drawings incorporating an understanding of GD&T.
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering discipline.
- 1 year of mechanical design and drafting experience (including internships or personal projects).
- Experience with 3D CAD software (Unigraphics, Solidworks or similar).
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Solid understanding and application of GD&T.
- Experience working in project teams such as Formula SAE or Hybrid Electric Vehicle.
- Familiarity with welded structures.
- Ability to manage large assembly models and drawings.
- Ability to work well in an integrated team including daily interactions with technicians, engineers, and managers.
- Creative problem solver that can bring multiple disciplines together.
- Self-motivated with strong multi-tasking, organizational, communication and documentation skills.
- Must be available to work long hours and weekends as needed.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.