SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
PRODUCT DESIGN ENGINEER (STARLINK USER TERMINAL)
One of the most ambitious missions that SpaceX has undertaken to date, the Starlink satellite constellation is our solution to providing reliable internet to the entire world. We are looking for a talented mechanical engineer to architect, define, and design the structures for the consumer-facing user terminal (a high volume manufactured product customers will have in their homes). You will drive the relationships between software, silicon, electrical, and manufacturing teams to steer this project from initial concept development to full scale production, and will interact regularly with senior leadership during critical design phases.
The success of Starlink depends on the quality, reliability, cost, manufacturability, throughput, user experience, and security of the products that you deliver. If you seek a fast-paced, dynamic environment; if you thrive on solving difficult problems where resolutions have high impact; if you love managing through persuasion and if you love the challenge of building something from scratch, then this role will be an ideal next career step.
- Design and build custom hardware for testing, proof-of-concept, mock-ups, and functional appearance models
- Oversee project documentation and create detailed drawings while incorporating an understanding of GD&T
- Participate in the cross-discipline design process by combining your skills with electrical, manufacturing, and compliance team members to arrive at an integrated and effective system design
- Anticipate and correct issues that may impact mass-production
- Identify and interface with 3rd party suppliers and integrate their pieces into the whole system design
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering discipline.
- 1 year of mechanical design and drafting experience (including internships or personal projects).
- Experience with 3D CAD software (Unigraphics, Solidworks or similar).
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Solid understanding and application of GD&T
- Experience in consumer electronics product development and high volume manufacturing
- Demonstrated knowledge of materials and manufacturing methods
- Experience with rapid prototyping processes (3D printing, CNC-machining, laser cutting)
- Experience with mechanism design, prototyping, and precision mechanical assembly
- Self-motivated with strong multi-tasking, organizational, communication and documentation skills
- Must be available to work long hours and weekends as needed
- Must be willing to travel between SpaceX offices and/or overseas as needed
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.