SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SR. RF DESIGN ENGINEER
- Design, debug, and characterize RF circuits used for spacecraft communications
- Evaluate new RF components for future spacecraft designs emphasizing cost and low power consumption
- Characterize and analyze RF performance data for passive and active radio components that operate across a wide range of frequency bands (from VHF to V-band)
- Assist in the development of automated test equipment to allow production testing of RF avionics components
- Drive interdisciplinary technical teams to deliver integrated RF products (e.g., mechanical, power, firmware, software, test, manufacturing, etc.)
- Write or update qualification and acceptance test procedures for radio related space qualified avionics components
- Generate thorough design documentation, which includes schematics, derating analysis, worst case circuit analysis, electrical performance analysis, test results for validation, electrical piece part assessments
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering, computer engineering or physics
- 5+ years of professional experience in RF circuit design
- 5+ years of experience using radio related test equipment such as spectrum analyzers and network analyzers
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Ability to navigate the smith chart and possession of a very good understanding of transmission line theory and S-parameters
- Good understanding of RF passive components such as hybrid couplers, Wilkinson dividers, waveguide, circulators, and directional couplers
- RF design experience using Agilent ADS or AWR Microwave Office
- Familiar with Mil-STD-1540E
- Matlab experience for analyzing RF systems
- Python and/or LabVIEW programming experience
- Experience with electromagnetic propagation and antenna systems
- Strong understanding of digital communication theory with emphasis on bit error rate and system noise figure
- LNA design or RF PA design experience in the S-Band frequency range
- Experience characterizing radio performance in L-Band, X-Band and S-Band frequencies
- Experience performing analysis and simulation of both linear and non-linear circuits such as phase-locked loops, vector modulators/demodulators, oscillators, mixers, multipliers, synthesizers, low noise and/or power amplifiers
- Knowledge of digital communication systems, spread spectrum, and modulation types such as FSK, BPSK, QPSK, QAM, and OFDM
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.