SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
FALCON LEAD MANUFACTURING ENGINEER - AFT STRUCTURES
As the Lead Manufacturing Engineer for Aft Structures at SpaceX, you will have the opportunity to utilize your knowledge, experience, and creativity to develop novel solutions. You will be encompassing the integration and assembly of machined components into major structural assemblies. In addition to owning the relationship between our development and production teams, providing input into the design and development of new and existing hardware, you will be taking a lead role in manufacturing and integration on our current and next-generation launch vehicles.
- Lead a team of manufacturing engineers and technical writers in the production of Aft Structures
- Oversee all process functions, document control, and continuous improvement
- Aggressively develop and implement process improvements and controls to ensure flight reliability
- Fully develop and implement future state production that reduces build cost
- Create capital/facility justifications for large projects and manage through implementation and runoff
- Set goals and objectives for team members for the achievement of operational results
- Ensure policies, practices, and procedures are understood and followed
- Coach and support professional development of direct reports
- Bachelor of science in mechanical, aerospace, manufacturing, welding or materials engineering
- 3 years of experience in a manufacturing environment with responsibility for integration and assembly
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 2 years of experience leading a team of 3+ individuals either as a project leader OR as direct reports
- Knowledge of the basic principles of chemistry, engineering, fluid dynamics and mechanics of materials
- Demonstrated exceptional performance through successful completion of impactful projects in manufacturing processes/equipment
- Functional knowledge of NDT techniques for material evaluation.
- Experience in process development, value stream layout, PFMEA, and Error-Proofing
- New Product Development / Introduction
- Lean manufacturing principles
- Position may require long hours and weekend work
- Will sometimes be working directly with the hardware on the floor and will have to be comfortable stooping, bending, and standing
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.