SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
THERMAL ENGINEER, REUSABLE THERMAL PROTECTION SYSTEMS
SpaceX plans to revolutionize the launch market through use of reusable technology to drive down price and increase accessibility. Atmospheric reentry and the extreme environments associated are one of the top challenges of making a reusable spacecraft. The Thermal Engineer, Reusable Thermal Protection Systems will tackle some of the most vital systems to protect the spacecraft from reentry while allowing for rapid reuse and economical re-flight.
- Serve as engineer responsible for the ensuring the proper design, analysis and fabrication of thermal protection hardware on SpaceX vehicles including Falcon Heavy, Crew Dragon and Falcon 9.
- Make decisions on the thermal protection systems necessary to protect flight hardware including materials and attachment.
- Dictate and execute design hardware development and qualification for thermal protection system hardware.
- Maintain develop and product schedules which include conducting design reviews through a product development.
- Support thermal and structural testing of components by developing test setups, write procedure and analyze results.
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline.
- 1 year of professional or internship/project experience with hardware development.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Ability to interact with engineers from other disciplines to develop loads, requirements and constraints for thermal protection systems materials.
- Experience using NX (Unigraphics) or other parametric modeling software.
- Experience conducting FEA structural and thermal analysis.
- Strong understanding of thermal dynamics.
- Basic understanding of aerothermal heating and reentry dynamics.
- A demonstrated ability to read and generate drawings.
- Must be willing to work long hours and weekends as necessary.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.