SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SOFTWARE AUTOMATION ENGINEER
Software engineer embedded in the guidance navigation and control (GNC) team. GNC performs trajectory design and vehicle simulation and participates in recurring launch operations. This position will augment the team with additional software expertise for developing GNC-focused tools.
- Create analysis tools, applications, and execution pipelines that allow vehicles to be flown quickly, reliably, and robustly for the GNC team
- Design and lead development of new software projects
- Review existing tools and processes and drive more efficient or more reliable approaches
- Participate in all phases of a mission, from feasibility analysis and research to concrete mission design and launch operations
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer engineering, electrical engineering, math, or scientific discipline and 2+ years in a software engineering role.
- 2+ years of experience with Python and Python-based development frameworks
- Demonstrable experience with both back end and front end programming
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Strong competency in software development practices including testing and continuous integration
- Professional experience in web applications development
- Professional experience as an architect - proven ability to design and implement robust and scalable systems with flexible and scalable UI that meets future needs
- Experience working directly on engineering or scientific computing problems
- Educational or professional background in Guidance, Navigation, and Control
- Deep understanding of object oriented programming
- Experience with high performance computing systems or large scale data analysis systems
- Deep understanding of one or more modern persistency systems
- Experiences with cloud technologies such as AWS, Azure or Google Cloud Engine
- Focus on performance bottlenecks and performance improvement techniques
- Great creative and innovative problem-solving skills
- Initiative and the ability to work independently and in a team
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.