SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH & SAFETY TECHNICIAN
Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) technicians will be responsible for regulatory requirements relating to Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA), Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), and The Department of Transportation (DOT) requirements. They will work with engineers and technicians daily to ensure our launch facility meets all environmental, health, and safety objectives.
- Recognize requirements and ensure compliance to safety programs and standards including: hazard communication, slip/trip/falls, fall protection, confined space, hot work, respiratory protection, lockout/tag-out (LOTO), machine guarding, power & hand-held tools, electrical, emergency shower and eyewash, and chemical management
- Experience with use of and training for scaffolding, cranes, forklifts, boom & scissor lifts, lifting straps/slings, and fall protection equipment
- Conduct respiratory training and fit tests
- Identify work place safety hazards and conditions for job-related tasks
- Maintain and implement compliance of site specific safety policies
- Create and maintain job hazard analyses and personal protective equipment (PPE) assessments
- Conduct and/or coordinate employee safety and environmental training programs
- Assist with emergency response drills
- Perform and document safety inspections
- Ensure employees maintain safe work practices
- Assist with critical hazardous operations to manage clear areas
- Document and follow through with corrective actions for identified unsafe conditions
- Assist accident/mishap investigations
- Hazardous and non-hazardous waste management including proper handling, labeling, and storage
- Monitor waste at satellite accumulation areas and move full containers to Central Accumulation Area (CAA)
- Maintain waste logs and conduct weekly CAA inspections
- Able to recognize construction or industrial storm water requirements
- Able to recognize Spill Prevention Countermeasures and Control Plan (SPCC) requirements and address spills in a compliant manner
- Order and maintain adequate spill supplies: spill pads, empty drums, secondary containment, and other equipment necessary to maintain safe handling and correct disposal of hazardous waste
- Manage the storage of hazardous commodities
- Minimum of 2 years of experience implementing and overseeing environmental, health and safety programs.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience with health and safety plans and policies
- Experience with emergency response crews in incidents involving hazardous and non-hazardous material releases to air, soil, and water
- Experience using Windows operating systems and Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Outlook)
- Demonstrated strong propensity for hands-on work and attention to detail in either academic or career pursuits
- Ability to multi-task, to manage shifting priorities and to follow through on projects with minimal supervision
- Ability to work in a construction/industrial environment
- Ability to communicate well with technicians and engineers
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Ability to pass Air Force background check for Cape Canaveral
- The ability to work in a high-concentration, fast-paced environment
- Must be able to lift at least 40 lbs.
- Must be able to work overtime when necessary
- Position is subject to pre-employment drug and random drug and alcohol testing
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.