SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
MISSION MANAGER, CREW
SpaceX is looking for an accomplished aerospace project manager to serve as the deputy to our Director of Crew Mission Management. The Crew Mission Management team is expanding in anticipation of our upcoming crewed missions of the Dragon 2 spacecraft. This close-knit team serves as the main interface between the SpaceX technical teams and our external stakeholders. They work across disciplines to certify our spacecraft for astronauts and lead all programmatic aspects of their specific missions. The team also contributes to the early architecture of the Big Falcon Rocket program. Members of the team excel across a breadth of functions including product management, business development and sales support, proposal development, mission management, mission engineering, contract management, scheduling, and regulatory coordination.
As a deputy on the team, you would help lead large programmatic deliverables while still contributing directly to any underlying analysis, verification, and remediation. While you would not be completing all technical tasks personally, you would be responsible for ensuring that all tasks are completed in a reliable and timely fashion.
- Understand all aspects of assigned launch service contracts and ensure the proper execution of all deliverables
- Work with all internal and external stakeholders to certify and fly NASA crew members and commercial astronauts
- Collaborate with the production group to understand vehicle readiness and any hardware or test changes from the nominal baseline
- Support content generation for launch license applications (FAA and ITAR) and submissions
- Assist with the creation and maintenance of project master schedules and regularly report modifications to customer
- Coordinate and chair all customer reviews and ensure that contract deliverables are delivered on time and per the customer’s expectation
- Manage mission manifests and generate the Interface Control Document
- Ensure all mission-related ITAR processes are adhered to
- Serve as the primary interface for SpaceX in customer-led mission reviews
- Help to mentor mission integration engineers on the team
- Bachelor's degree in engineering with 7+ years of industry experience
- 3+ years of technical project management experience in an aerospace organization
- 3+ years of systems-level engineering experience
- Prior experience working with launch vehicles
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree in engineering or MBA
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience working with cross-functional teams and external customers
- 3+ years of experience working with government, NASA, or commercial launch contracts
- Highly detail-oriented, diligent, and hardworking with excellent customer interface skills
- Must be willing to travel to other launch sites, vendors, and customers as necessary. Up to 25% travel
- Must be able to work extended hours and weekends as needed to support critical launch and project milestones
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.