SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars
Sr Buyer, Operations, Propulsion Supply Chain
Overall responsibilities are to support engineering and production for purchases of complex, highly engineered, machined components to manufacture SpaceX vehicles.
Buyer will be able to:
- Develop and execute Propulsion Supply Chain procurement strategy
- Source propulsion components and negotiate effectively to support cost, quality, and delivery goals
- Execute on Work Transfer initiatives to mitigate technical supply risks associated with transitioning parts from one manufacturing source to another
- Support long term agreement negotiations with strategic suppliers
- Lead supplier quality, development, and performance teams to execute strategic procurement vision
- Support Engineering and Production teams when selecting suppliers, developing NPI strategies, determining Make vs. Buy, calculating Should Cost, executing Work Transfer
- Build cross functional teams and champion continuous improvement initiatives for cost, quality, and delivery
- Ensure continuity of supply through effective supplier management and lead escalation meetings with suppliers for parts shortages to develop recovery plan
- Drive design for manufacturability reviews with support from supplier quality and engineering
- Champion value add engineering projects to improve part quality, delivery, and cost
- Proactively update SpaceX management and engineering teams on all critical supply issues
- Develop and maintain strong supplier relationships
- Visit supplier’s facilities and accurately assess technical capability, equipment, and capacity
- Resolve purchase order discrepancies and invoice issues
- Analyze procurement data and report metrics to improve supplier performance
- Ensure compliance with all company policies and procedures and government regulations
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, business, economics, supply chain, or similar technical discipline
- 3+ years of technical procurement experience
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering
- Experience reading datasheets, drawings, and blueprints
- Knowledge of ERP Systems such as SAP or Oracle
- Understand process planning, materials and process applications, quality procedures, Teamcenter 10, inventory management, and CapEx planning
- Manufacturing or production line experience
- Proven track record of leadership and team building skills
- Exceptional analytical, problem solving, and organizational skills
- Knowledge and skills in current technologies and applications, i.e. MS Office Suite, SQL, Access, etc.
- Effective written, verbal and presentation communication skills
- Ability to learn quickly and prioritize appropriately to meet customer and company needs
- Excellent customer service skills
- Detail oriented, self-motivated, and able to respond quickly to a fast-moving and ever-changing environment
- Conducts all activities with the highest of integrity
- Able to travel for short and extended trips as needed
- Able to work long hours and weekends as needed
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.