At Spaceship, we’re on a mission to enable people to invest in their future, so they can live the life they want to live. We started in 2017 with Spaceship Super, and in 2018 we launched Spaceship Voyager, which is making investing easy, for everyone.
Since launch, we have grown to more than 175,000 financial members and surpassed $950 million in funds under management – but we’re just getting started.
What will you be doing?
We are looking for someone to help scale Spaceship by empowering it with data engineering capabilities - someone who is not only hands-on, but also capable of establishing Spaceship’s data engineering function from scratch as a specialism within the Decision Science team.
You will therefore have the scope to define the practises and processes from the outset, and steer the function as it grows.
We don’t have an existing data engineering function but we embrace a data-driven culture – your work will drive strategic decisions, such as how we set up our data environments and what we prioritise in the data engineering roadmap.
Collaboration will technical folks will be key in this position, as you will work closely with Engineering and Decision Scientists to:
- Help us build a best-in-class data engineering environment using commercial tools like Google Cloud Platform and others as you see fit.
- Influence our product build roadmap and data capture tools to ensure our data engineering needs are captured.
- Act as an authority on data engineering at Spaceship, advising other teams on how we can improve our data environment.
- Help us automate our pipelines and build innovative data engineering tools for the business to self-serve as much as possible.
- Work on scaling our proof-of-concept machine learning and predictive analytics capabilities from the Decision Science team.
What are we looking for?
We are looking for a rare individual with breadth and depth of experience – someone who can build a data engineering strategy, while getting their hands dirty. We aren’t looking for a yes-person and jerks aren’t allowed – you won’t have the time to do everything, so prioritising your workload and focusing on the highest impact initiatives will be an important part of your role.
Furthermore, we are looking for someone with:
- 5 - 7 years data engineering experience with expertise in SQL and data programming languages (Python, etc.).
- Excellent understanding and experience of applying appropriate pipelines and ETL processes.
- Experience using commercial platforms like Google Cloud Platform.
- Experience in building and scaling a data engineering environment that enables our Decision Science team to move fast with the highest quality data.
- Exceptional communication with the ability to explain technical data engineering content for non-technical audiences.
- Expertise in data manipulation and preparation.
- Passion for building a world-leading data engineering practice.
- Experience in consumer / B2C environments.
It's great, but not essential if you have:
- Some understanding of investing / financial markets.
- Track record of building effective data engineering environments.
- An advanced degree in engineering or computer science.
What are the perks and benefits?
- Competitive salary + equity options.
- Monthly health and wellness reimbursement.
- Emphasis on a healthy work/life balance.
- Flexibility to work from home or the office.
Who are we?
We are ~50 people passionate about enabling people to invest in their future.
We value forward-thinking, accessibility, curiosity, transparency and simplicity in everything we do - from the way we collaborate to the products we create.
Spaceship has raised more than $50m to date from some of the world’s most renowned investors including Horizons Ventures, AirTree Ventures, Grok Ventures, Valar Ventures, Sequoia Capital, and New Enterprise Associates.