About the Team
At Sovrn, the Managed Services team is responsible for the engineering and operational management of our platform to help publishers monetize their content. In this role, you’ll be empowering both internal and external users by developing industry-leading features. You’ll be responsible for setting best practices, working closely with Product, QA and managers to plan features, deliver amazing products, and mentoring engineers on your team to do the same. We believe in dedication, passion, and personality. We are seeking a leader who can inspire diverse, talented, and motivated engineers while creating a world-class product.
About the Job
The SMS team is building a highly scalable adtech platform which runs directly on large publishers to run an advertising auction in real time. This platform currently processes billions of monthly impressions and boasts a 100% year over year growth. The platform is evolving quickly and code is being pushed live 2-3 times per week.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Build out our new web platform using APIs, PHP, and React; making it scalable and integrating with other company products
- Expand and optimize our client and server-side auction code
- Work closely with Product to design and plan the best customer experience
- Collaborate with other teams to create or deepen the integration to other internal products and to determine the best technical solutions
- Build out our analytics platform and reporting tools that enable publishers to connect to and gain insights from multiple data sources using PHP, Looker, and Snowflake
- Lead projects across large volumes of code, with multiple branches, formal integration procedures, and test cycles
- Get involved in all aspects of the technology landscape, including managing deployment pipelines, supporting our AWS infrastructure, and working with multiple databases
- Contribute software engineering best practices and technical excellence through code reviews and mentorship of junior engineers
- Demonstrate end-to-end ownership of projects and initiatives
You are a self-starter and able to get the job done without micromanagement. You enjoy being part of a collaborative team but are also independent in terms of getting things done. You love technical challenges and solving problems all while striving to make better software, products, and the team. You believe that the engineering team owns the quality of the product and designs with this in mind.
The successful candidate will have:
- Professional experience developing web services or applications
- Hands on experience architecting major components or whole applications; a holistic view of the system
- AWS: EC2, S3, Kinesis, Redshift, RDS, Elastic Beanstalk, ELBs, & auto-scaling
- Familiarity with web frameworks (Laravel, CodeIgniter, Symphony, Django, Rails, Express, Meteor, etc.)
- Professional working experience using SQL (MySQL or PostgreSQL preferred)
- Experience both consuming and producing REST APIs
- Proficiency using modern web development technologies and techniques such as HTML5, CSS, web components
- Understanding of data structures, algorithms and system design
- Ability to work with a team of junior and experienced engineers to a common technical goal
- Excel in a fast paced agile development environment
- Test-driven development or creating automated unit tests
- Ability to communicate well, both verbally and in writing, since our team members work closely with each other and frequently have to interact with clients directly
- Experience with online advertising technology and/or programmatic buying
- Experience operating in and optimizing your code for a high-volume and high-transaction environment
- Security-conscious design and coding skills
- Demonstrable commitment to automation and CI/CD
- Experience working with Docker
Position Reports to: Director, Software Engineering
Location: San Diego, California or Remote California
We understand that no candidate is perfectly qualified for any job. Experience comes in different forms; many skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. Even more important than your resume is a clear demonstration of accountability impact, and the ability to thrive in a fluid and collaborative environment. We expect you to learn new things in this role, and we encourage you to apply if your experience is close to what we're looking for.
Publishers create the content the world depends on for education, entertainment, and commerce. Sovrn provides products and services to tens of thousands of online publishers to help them grow, operate their business, understand their readership, and manage consumer data. Sovrn is headquartered in Boulder, Colorado with offices in San Francisco, San Diego, New York, and London.
With 10,000 customers deploying one or more products across 30,000 websites, Sovrn reaches 200M consumers across more than 3.5B pageviews every day. Sovrn has been a leader in online publisher technology since its founding and has been recognized by IAB, JICWEBS, and TAG for its role in combating advertising fraud and promoting pro-transparency initiatives. Sovrn is dedicated to helping content creators do more of what they love, and less of what they don’t.
Sovrn Core Values: Candid, Customer Empathy, Learning, Scrappy, Second Order Thinking
Compensation and Benefits
In accordance with the Colorado Equal Pay for Equal Work Act, the approximate compensation range for this role in Boulder, Colorado is $120,000 to $155,000, including base salary and any related bonuses or commissions. Final compensation for this role will be determined by various factors such as a candidates relevant work experience, skills, certifications and geographic location. Sovrn offers a full slate of benefits from competitive salaries, stock options, medical, dental and vision coverage, short and long term disability, life insurance, 11 paid holidays, flexible vacation, commuter benefits, a 401(k) plan and match, and a paid parental leave program.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Sovrn is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, parental or pregnancy status, marriage and civil partnership, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Reasonable accommodations will be made to meet the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act and will be provided as requested by candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Sovrn does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias or Sovrn employees. Sovrn is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.