About the Team
At Sovrn, the Reliability team plays an integral role building and maintaining our low latency, high performance, scalable infrastructure. Reliability engineering focuses on enabling frameworks that streamline full stack delivery using automation to increase feature velocity while meeting production service level commitments. This team is a key driver of the collaborative culture across engineering to enable product delivery across all of our applications. We focus to build and keep a high level of excellence, driving a culture of learning, positivity and humor, as well as mutual respect and humility in all that we do.
About the Job
Through our publishers, Sovrn Holdings reaches over 200 million people every day, generating over 45 billion HTTP requests daily. These requests must be processed in low milliseconds and result in several petabytes of data on a monthly basis. The exciting technical problems we solve require a world class team and engineering culture to deliver against our mission.
Sovrn is currently seeking a Site Reliability Engineer, Network to play a critical and integral role building and maintaining our low latency, high performance, scalable infrastructure. As a Site Reliability Engineer, Network at Sovrn you will perform hands-on engineering with a particular focus towards that of IP Networking as a member of the SRE Team. Reliability engineering overall includes deployment pipelines, software configuration management, infrastructure configuration management, containerization frameworks, monitoring and performance engineering. The goal of Reliability engineering is to streamline full stack delivery using automation in order to increase velocity of new features while meeting production service levels commitments. This role is a key participant in the culture to create a collaborative partnership across software, data, reliability, and quality engineering to enable the delivery and service management flows.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Be a member of the SRE team with an emphasis on Network as it relates to our use and evolution. In this role you will support, improve, and drive evolution of software based load balancing, and third-party managed facilities.
- Participate in all aspects of designing, building, and maintaining reliable and performant networking for our clients, partners, and employees.
- Developing critical software, integration, and tools needed to achieve reliability goals and automation to reduce toil.
- Participate in planning and execution for full stack provisioning automation (ie continuous integration/deployment, software configuration, infrastructure configuration, and monitoring).
- Apply appropriate estimating techniques to determine the level of effort required for the technical implementation of solutions.
- Design and implement automation and tools to speed incident resolution, reduce production issues, and manage production change with minimal business disruption.
- Supporting operational delivery and execution of key Sovrn applications.
- Partnering with feature team engineering, data platform, data science, and external data partners to enable business deliverables.
- Provide technical and architectural/vision alignment guidance to and mentor junior and other team members.
- Troubleshoot systemic issues and lead improvements.
- Documenting research, solutions, and patterns.
You are a self starter and able to get the job done without direct supervision. You enjoy being part of a collaborative team but are also independently responsible. Technical challenges and solving problems with your team to make better software gets you excited. Firm believer that the engineering team owns the quality of the product and designs with this in mind. You work to automate all the things, reducing toil so you can spend more time on what matters most. Above all, you are excited about technology with a curiosity to learn.
The successful candidate will have:
- A continuous curiosity and are self driven to learn.
- Strong foundational knowledge of IP networks and network routing/protocols/services.
- Experience troubleshooting local network communications problems in remote data centers and cloud providers.
- Experience analyzing network latency problems and packet loss problems over Internet paths.
- Familiarity with the DNS and working with DNS load balancing services such as Dyn or NS1.
- Experience with observability practices and data visualization tools. Building custom dashboards in monitoring and graphing tools such as Grafana and Datadog.
- Ability to write scripts to automate common Linux OS tasks (python, bash, golang, etc.).
- Experience scripting with vendor REST API's and/or Webhooks.
- Working experience with DevOps/Automation tools such as Jenkins, Ansible, and Terraform.
- Working knowledge of Git and Github for version control of source code.
- Obsessive drive to fix network problems in a low-latency application environment.
- Desire to improve the automation of handling platform health to make on-call shifts better for everyone.
- Ability to lead problem definition, solution designs, and define implementation work plans.
- Understanding of DevOps and Reliability Engineering practices.
- Experience working with and in cloud technologies (AWS, GCP).
- Experience with Agile/JIRA.
- Experience with Cloud based security protocols.
This position reports to: Manager, Reliability Engineering
Location: Boulder, Colorado. We are open to 100% remote or Hybrid working arrangements for Colorado.
We understand that no candidate is perfectly qualified for any job. Experience comes in different forms; many skills are transferable; and passion goes a long way. Even more important than your resume is a clear demonstration of accountability impact, and the ability to thrive in a fluid and collaborative environment. We expect you to learn new things in this role, and we encourage you to apply if your experience is close to what we're looking for.
Publishers create the content the world depends on for education, entertainment, and commerce. Sovrn provides products and services to tens of thousands of online publishers to help them grow, operate their business, understand their readership, and manage consumer data. Sovrn is headquartered in Boulder, Colorado with offices in San Francisco, New York, and London.
With 10,000 customers deploying one or more products across 30,000 websites, Sovrn reaches 200M consumers across more than 3.5B pageviews everyday. Sovrn has been a leader in online publisher technology since its founding, and has been recognized by IAB, JICWEBS, and TAG for its role in combating advertising fraud and promoting pro-transparency initiatives. Sovrn is dedicated to helping content creators do more of what they love, and less of what they don’t.
Sovrn Core Values: Candid, Customer Empathy, Learning, Scrappy, Second Order Thinking
Compensation and Benefits
In accordance with the Colorado Equal Pay for Equal Work Act, the approximate compensation range for this role in Boulder, Colorado is $95,000 to $130,000, including base salary and any related bonuses or commissions. Final compensation for this role will be determined by various factors such as a candidate's relevant work experience, skills and certifications.
Sovrn offers a full slate of benefits from competitive salaries, stock options, medical, dental and vision coverage, short and long term disability, life insurance,11 paid holidays, flexible vacation, commuter benefits, a 401(k) plan and match, and a paid parental leave program.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Sovrn is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, parental or pregnancy status, marriage and civil partnership, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Reasonable accommodations will be made to meet the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act and will be provided as requested by candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Sovrn does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias or Sovrn employees. Sovrn is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.