About the Job
Sovrn is seeking an experienced attorney to assume the role of General Counsel. As General Counsel, you are a key business partner to Sovrn’s market-facing leaders. You will be responsible for leading corporate strategic and tactical legal initiatives and providing senior management with quick and thoughtful advice on a variety of matters. The position is responsible for managing Sovrn’s commercial contracts, ensuring Sovrn's compliance with the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), as well as managing the company’s corporate legal affairs and outside counsel. The In-House Counsel is directly involved in business transactions, including the negotiation of business critical contracts, M&A transactions and the company’s financing transactions.
What you’ll be doing:
- Contract and Transaction Support: Reviews and negotiates customer and business partner contracts. Drafts and negotiates privacy and data protection terms for revenue, vendor, and business partner agreements. Serves as key lawyer/legal advisor on all major business transactions, including financings, acquisitions, divestitures and joint ventures.
- Compliance: Acts as Compliance Officer and Data Protection Officer. Provides the following:
- Drives General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) compliance initiative, including being a key voice of interpretation of regulations and related business response.
- Partners closely with and advises our security, product and other business teams on privacy and data protection-related legal matters.
- Evaluates the impact of U.S. and international legislative, regulatory, legal developments and industry guidelines involving privacy and security.
- Participates in cross-functional company projects related to data protection and privacy by design and default.
- Develops and leads internal compliance programs.
- Corporate Governance: Manages corporate resolutions and key areas of governance, assuming responsibility that company conducts its business in compliance with Delaware law and other applicable securities laws and regulations. Advises on legal aspects of the company’s financings, including assessing and advising on current and future business structures and legal entities.
- Outside Counsel: Manages selection, retention, and evaluation of outside counsel, displaying expertise for retaining the right level of counsel at the right fee structure/budget for differ. Ability to manage and accurately forecast legal fees to an annual budget.
- Legal Policies and Program Management: Participates in the definition and development of corporate policies, procedures and programs and provides continuing counsel and guidance on legal matters and on legal implications of all matters. Develops and leads corporate legal strategy and provides expert and strategic legal advice to management.
- Manage Risk/Manage Litigation: Set internal governance policies and manage the impact of external factors. Evaluate and weigh multiple inputs and impacts of any decision or course of action. Anticipate issues and estimate risks. Identify solutions that will eliminate or mitigate risks. Judges the merits of major court cases filed against or on behalf of the company, works with the appropriate executive(s) to define a strategic defense and approves settlements of disputes where warranted.
You are driven and have proven the ability to independently manage the legal function in a high-paced environment. You have experience and expertise in commercial contracts, privacy regulations and corporate transactions.
The successful candidate will have:
- Ability to learn and add value to others through collaboration (customers, business partners, and colleagues).
- The ability to work collaboratively. We’re looking for someone with strategic and operational experience who is able to solve the business needs of the organization with a pragmatic, solution-oriented legal approach.
- 6 -10 years of relevant experience; combination of 4+ years with outside firm and 2+ years in-house preferred.
- Experience with or knowledge of U.S. and international privacy and data protection laws, regulations and standards. Direct experience with implementation of GDPR-compliance programs preferred.
- An eagerness for working and learning in fast-paced, dynamic environments.
- Pragmatic problem-solver with a high degree of self awareness.
- Experience in a technology-based growth company preferred.
- J.D. degree and membership in at least one US state bar (CO preferred).
This Position Reports to: CEO
Location: Boulder, Colorado
We understand that no candidate is perfectly qualified for any job. Experience comes in different forms; many skills are transferable; and passion goes a long way. Even more important than your resume is a clear demonstration of your ability to learn, and the ability to thrive in a fluid and collaborative environment. We expect you to continually learn new things in this role.
Sovrn provides products and services to tens of thousands of online publishers to help them grow, operate their business, understand their readership, and manage consumer data. Sovrn is headquartered in Boulder, Colorado with offices in San Francisco, New York, and London.
With thousands of customers deploying one or more products across tens of thousands of websites, Sovrn reaches nearly 500M consumers across more than 10B pageviews everyday. Sovrn has been a leader in online publisher technology since its founding, and has been recognized by IAB, JICWEBS, and TAG for its role in combating advertising fraud and promoting pro-transparency initiatives. Sovrn is dedicated to helping content creators do more of what they love, and less of what they don’t.
Sovrn Core Values: Candid, Customer Empathy, Learning, Scrappy, Second Order Thinking
Compensation and Benefits
In accordance with the Colorado Equal Pay for Equal Work Act, the approximate compensation range for this role in Boulder, Colorado is $225,000 to $275,000, including base salary and any related bonuses or commissions. Final compensation for this role will be determined by various factors such as a candidates relevant work experience, skills, certifications and geographic location. Sovrn offers a full slate of benefits from competitive salaries, stock options, medical, dental and vision coverage, short and long term disability, life insurance,11 paid holidays, flexible vacation, commuter benefits, a 401(k) plan and match, and a paid parental leave program.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Sovrn is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, parental or pregnancy status, marriage and civil partnership, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Reasonable accommodations will be made to meet the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act and will be provided as requested by candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Sovrn does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias or Sovrn employees. Sovrn is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.