About the Team
The Data Intelligence team is a subgroup of Sovrn’s larger Data Science team that generates data-based intelligence and machine learning solutions for internal stakeholders. The team processes data from over 40 billion HTTP requests and half a million affiliated marketing transactions daily, resulting in several petabytes of data on a monthly basis. The team then uses this information to produce data products that inform decision-making across the company, and to build optimization tools and new features that directly affect Sovrn and its publishers.
About the Job
In this role of Data Scientist I, you will be responsible for learning in detail about a broad portion of the Sovrn business. You will apply your skills in data analysis to identify business opportunities to optimize our products and operations. You will partner with business leaders to guide decisions based on analysis of large datasets, rigorous testing, and a deep understanding of the technical workings of our Commerce, Exchange, and Signal product lines. Projects may include designing business performance reporting, developing optimization systems for the exchange, building simulations of product changes, and building prototypes of new features to increase the performance of our business. You will partner with other data scientists and engineers to develop your big data skills and use powerful tools to develop insights and optimization in Sovrn’s high performance real-time ad exchange and other business segments.
What you will be doing:
- Develop detailed expertise in the technical workings of Sovrn’s various business units
- Develop expertise in each data resource, and methods to extract and process data (SQL, Hive, Spark, Python, etc...)
- Develop expertise in the business drivers in a specific area of the Sovrn business
- Partner with business leaders in that area to drive performance improvements through rigorous analysis and decision support
- Drive business initiatives in that area through modeling, automating, and driving product design and testing.
- Analyze and solve problems at their root, stepping back to understand the broader context
- Collaborate with fellow data scientists, product managers, engineers, and data platform teams to further develop Sovrn’s products and data resources.
You are a storyteller who interprets results from complex datasets and turns them into clear and concise narratives to guide the direction of your company. You are eager to be a leader and mentor for more junior members of your team, as well as for groups of embedded analysts in other teams around the company. You enjoy using written and oral communication to evangelize data literacy throughout the company.
The successful candidate will have:
- Expertise in SQL and relational databases
- Experience in Python or other scripting languages
- Experience with data modeling and machine learning algorithms
- Comfort with version-controlled codebase (Git)
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to convert business problems into structured analysis and back to business solutions
- A passion for helping teammates expand their data skill set
- Ability to quickly formulate solutions to difficult problems
- Experience analyzing data to extract business recommendations
- Comfortable in fast-paced, start-up environments
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or equivalent
- Experience with AWS and/or GCP
- Experience with Java or Scala
Position Reports to: Manager, Data Intelligence
Location: Boulder, CO
We understand that no candidate is perfectly qualified for any job. Experience comes in different forms; many skills are transferable; and passion goes a long way. Even more important than your resume is a clear demonstration of accountability impact, and the ability to thrive in a fluid and collaborative environment. We expect you to learn new things in this role, and we encourage you to apply if your experience is close to what we're looking for.
Publishers create the content the world depends on for education, entertainment, and commerce. Sovrn provides products and services to tens of thousands of online publishers to help them grow, operate their business, understand their readership, and manage consumer data. Sovrn is headquartered in Boulder, Colorado with offices in San Francisco, New York, and London.
With 10,000 customers deploying one or more products across 30,000 websites, Sovrn reaches 200M consumers across more than 3.5B pageviews everyday. Sovrn has been a leader in online publisher technology since its founding, and has been recognized by IAB, JICWEBS, and TAG for its role in combating advertising fraud and promoting pro-transparency initiatives. Sovrn is dedicated to helping content creators do more of what they love, and less of what they don’t.
Sovrn Core Values: Candid, Customer Empathy, Learning, Scrappy, Second Order Thinking
Compensation and Benefits
In accordance with the Colorado Equal Pay for Equal Work Act, the approximate compensation range for this role in Boulder, Colorado is $78,000 to $100,000, including base salary and any related bonuses or commissions. Final compensation for this role will be determined by various factors such as a candidates relevant work experience, skills, certifications and geographic location.
Sovrn offers a full slate of benefits from competitive salaries, stock options, medical, dental and vision coverage, short and long term disability, life insurance,11 paid holidays, flexible vacation, commuter benefits, a 401(k) plan and match, and a paid parental leave program.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Sovrn is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, parental or pregnancy status, marriage and civil partnership, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Reasonable accommodations will be made to meet the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act and will be provided as requested by candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Sovrn does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias or Sovrn employees. Sovrn is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.