About the Job
Sovrn is seeking an experienced attorney to assume the role of General Counsel. As General Counsel, you will be a key business partner to Sovrn’s market-facing leaders and must provide senior management with quick and thoughtful advice on a variety of legal and corporate matters. You will be responsible for leading corporate strategic and tactical legal initiatives, including partnering with the executive team to negotiate business-critical contracts, managing M&A transactions, facilitating the Company’s financing transactions, and managing the Company’s corporate governance matters, with minimal assistance from outside counsel. Additionally, you will oversee and manage a team that performs Sovrn’s commercial contracting and privacy and compliance functions.
What you’ll be doing:
- Commercial Contracting: Oversee the team responsible for reviewing and negotiating customer and business partner contracts, with a heavy emphasis on data privacy and compliance matters.
- Transactions: Serve as key lawyer/legal advisor on all major business transactions, including financings, acquisitions, divestitures, and joint ventures.
- Compliance: Act as the Compliance and Data Protection Officer, including being a key voice of interpretation of regulations and related business matters, and oversee the team that provides the following support to the organization:
- Drives compliance with General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), the California Consumer Protection Act (CCPA), and similar regulatory initiatives,.
- Advises the Company’s security, product, and other business teams on privacy and data protection-related legal matters.
- Evaluates the impact of U.S. and international legislative, regulatory, legal developments, and industry guidelines involving privacy and security.
- Participates in cross-functional company projects related to data protection and privacy by design and default.
- Develops and leads internal audit and compliance programs.
- Corporate Governance: Manages corporate resolutions and key areas of governance, ensuring that Company conducts its business in compliance with Delaware law and other applicable securities laws and regulations. Advises on legal aspects of the Company’s financings, including assessing and advising on current and future business structures and legal entities.
- Outside Counsel: Manages selection, retention, and evaluation of outside counsel, displaying expertise for retaining the right level of counsel at the right fee structure/budget and the ability to manage and accurately forecast legal fees to an annual budget.
- Legal Policies and Program Management: Participates in the definition and development of corporate policies, procedures, and programs, and provides continuing counsel and guidance on legal matters.
- Risk/Litigation: Sets internal governance policies and manages the impact of external factors. Evaluates and weighs multiple inputs and impacts of any decision or course of action. Anticipates issues and estimate risks. Identifies solutions that will eliminate or mitigate risks. Judges the merits of major court cases filed against or on behalf of the Company, and works with the appropriate executive(s) to define a strategic defense, approving settlements of disputes where warranted.
- General Corporate Matters: Manages and provides legal counsel on all other general, legal matters inherent in running a corporation, such as labor and employment, bankruptcies and collections, intellectual property, real estate, and immigration matters.
You are driven, organized, and have the proven ability to independently manage a corporate legal function in a high-paced environment, with the experience and expertise in providing support as a legal generalist in a corporate setting.
The successful candidate will have:
- Ability to learn and add value to others through collaboration (customers, business partners, and colleagues).
- The ability to work collaboratively. We’re looking for someone with strategic and operational experience who is able to solve the business needs of the organization with a pragmatic, solution-oriented legal approach.
- 8 -10 years of relevant experience in General Counsel, Associate/Assistant General Counsel, or similar senior internal counsel role; combination of 4+ years at a law firm and 2+ years in-house preferred.
- Experience with or knowledge of U.S. and international privacy and data protection laws, regulations, and standards. Direct experience with implementation of GDPR-compliance programs preferred.
- An eagerness for working and learning in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
- Pragmatic problem-solver with a high degree of self awareness.
- Experience in a technology-based growth company preferred.
- J.D. degree and membership in at least one US state bar (CO preferred).
Position Reports to: CFO
Publishers create the content the world depends on for education, entertainment, and commerce. Sovrn provides products and services to tens of thousands of online publishers to help them grow, operate their business, understand their readership, and manage consumer data. Sovrn is headquartered in Boulder, Colorado with offices in San Francisco, New York, and London.
With 10,000 customers deploying one or more products across 30,000 websites, Sovrn reaches 200M consumers across more than 3.5B pageviews everyday. Sovrn has been a leader in online publisher technology since its founding, and has been recognized by IAB, JICWEBS, and TAG for its role in combating advertising fraud and promoting pro-transparency initiatives. Sovrn is dedicated to helping content creators do more of what they love, and less of what they don’t.
Sovrn is an Equal Opportunity Employer