The Data Analyst is responsible for analyzing, and gaining actionable insight from data that promotes all missions at the Southern Poverty Law Center. The incumbent will prepare and implement quantitative and qualitative models for analysis. Ths selected candidate will collaborate with IT, vendors, and attorney & policy subject matter experts through the process of developing and using these systems and models; using data to lift up and tell stories to support litigation and policy transformation; and working closely with a variety of internal and external partners and stakeholders to these ends.
Primary Job Functions:
- Reporting to and collaborating with the Big Data Manager, provide oversight and engineering of data collection systems and analysis, synthesis of data and study outcome reports, data auditing;
- Find, import, transform, validate, and model data with the purpose of understanding and communicating facts.
- Partner with internal stakeholders to lead the design and implementation of research and affirmative policy activities;
- In collaboration with crucial SPLC staff, develop the necessary data and analysis to assist in the dissemination of information on successful and promising approaches, lessons learned, and other policy priorities to local and regional government bodies, partners, and other stakeholders;
- Develop a variety of data visualizations to clearly articulate the data to further policy goals;
- Participate with the SPLC data team in the process of data governance, quality, and integrity, and manage the implementation of related policies;
- Create and maintain detailed, up-to-date system documentation and project release memorandums;
- Comply with all federal and state lobbying and ethical rules and requirements; and,
- Create data visualizations, maps, and similar through a variety of tools such as Tableau & Power BI;
- Proactively participate in Big Data projects;
- Provide descriptive statistical analysis as well as basic modeling;
- Expand the usefulness and impact of data throughout the organization.
Education and Related Work Experience:
- 3 years of relevant experience in data analysis;
- Experience with visualization tools such as Tableau and Power BI with the ability to achieve certification with these tools within 12 months of hire date;
- Demonstrable knowledge of data preparation and analysis;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills required;
- Experience with statistical methods;
- Experience in SQL, Python, non-relational databases, GIS, R and similar;
- Able to perform effectively in a diverse team-oriented environment that focuses on a customer service;
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to manage multiple;
- competing tasks and demands;
- Ability to communicate and explain solutions to developers, other programming analysts, deployment resources, and business associates;
- Demonstrated ability to work both alone and with colleagues discretely.
Other Special Considerations:
This job is performed under general office conditions and is not subject to any strenuous physical demands or dangerous conditions.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee in this position. These statements are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of a person in this position.
An Equal-Opportunity Employer with a Commitment to Diversity
Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and as an organization committed to diversity and the perspective of all voices, we consider applicants equally of race, gender, gender identity, color, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, disability, political affiliation, national origin, or prior record of arrest or conviction.