Work with a fast-paced startup that is transforming the battery industry. The Controller will oversee all aspects of accounting, accounts payable/receivable, payroll, R&D credits, budgeting, inventory, cost of goods sold, fixed assets, tax and government grant/contract reporting and compliance, cash flow analysis, audits, financial reporting and analysis, preparing financial reports for the Board of Directors and investors, as well as some HR support such as employee onboarding and benefits administration.
Our ideal candidate is an experienced hands-on Controller with a solid understanding of accounting and GAAP compliance, who pays close attention to detail and can ensure first-class financial management and accounting across our organization. We are a fast-paced company and desire an energetic candidate that can take on many different roles within the organization. The candidate must display integrity and have a desire for professional growth.
The Controller / Director of Accounting will report to the CEO and assist in supporting the company’s growth. The responsibilities listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
- Perform all related accounting functions required to maintain the Company’s financial statements in compliance with GAAP and company policy and procedures
- Prepare financial reports for the Board of Directors and investors
- Manage and prepare financial reporting as required for numerous grants and contractsPerform accounting for manufacturing processes, evaluating inventory tracking and cost of goods sold, and defining/implementing/maintaining processes as needed
- Perform Accounts Payable/Accounts Receivable processes including entering daily invoices/bills/journal entries/weekly check runs/monthly accruals and special projects
- Maintain accounting/corporate records through a paperless filing and retrieval system ensuring past and current records are available as needed and attach documents within the financial system as system allows
- Evaluate workflow processes and procedures to develop, recommend and implement procedural and system changes to increase accuracy and efficiencies
- Ensure vendor invoices and check requests are paid in accordance with authorization and approval policies and follow up on invoices not approved
- Analyze expenses to evaluate cost cutting opportunities to drive value to the Company
- Review aging reports and follow up with Customers regarding overdue balances
- Coordinate month-end and year-end closing activities to ensure timely reporting as well as assist with yearly audits
- Create, plan and prepare financial models and other ad hoc analysis as requested
- Evaluate and pursue appropriate R&D Credit opportunities
- Responsible for researching, registering and compliance for all tax and business license requirements
- Research nexus requirements and compile sales tax/use tax information and prepare tax returns if necessary
- Create and maintain budgets and forecasts
- Generate/analyze/review financial data and generate monthly trend reports and balance sheet reconciliations ensuring financial statement accuracy
- Oversee fixed asset tracking and reconciliations including monthly depreciation
- Train, teach, and develop less experienced team members as the Company grows
- Other cross-functional and cross-team projects as required
- Minimum 7-10 years’ accounting experience
- Experience in Manufacturing and related operational accounting required
- Experience with Government Grants/Contracts
- Sound technical accounting skills
- Strong communication skills both verbal and written
- Working knowledge of GAAP compliance
- Advanced Excel and QuickBooks Desktop skills
- Experience with venture capital financed start-up a plus
- Experience with research and development credits a plus
- Knowledge of international currency exchange transactions a plus
ABOUT SOUTH 8 TECHNOLOGIES
South 8 Technologies, Inc. is a fast growing and well-funded group backed by leading global organizations. We have developed a breakthrough new Liquefied Gas Electrolyte chemistry for next-generation lithium batteries. Our patented technology enables a substantial increase in energy, improved safety, and an exceptionally wide operating temperature. Leveraging conventional materials and manufacturing, South 8 Technologies offers a unique solution for a variety of e-mobility, energy storage, and industrial applications.
South 8 Technologies, Inc. was founded in 2015 and spun out of UC San Diego’s Jacobs School of Engineering. We are a diverse team, which values integrity and hard work in an environment that encourages creative thinking, collaboration, and honest feedback. Become a critical member of our team and grow alongside us as we transform the energy landscape.