Carry out tasks in a wet chemical laboratory including battery cell builds, hardware preparation, and miscellaneous tasks including some basic wiring and handling compressed gas cylinders.
Become a critical member of our fast-growing team working to develop a breakthrough battery technology to change the way batteries are made and used worldwide to enable a clean energy future. In this position, you will be a critical part of our core team, helping us with day-to-day operations and progressing research to develop a novel chemistry to enable advanced battery cells.
We are looking for a skilled, dependable, and knowledgeable Research Associate, with impeccable attention to detail, to join our team in the Bay Park area of San Diego, CA. The ideal candidate can work independently with little oversight, is thorough, task oriented, and able to take on a large variety of tasks in a dynamic work environment. Work will primarily be in a wet lab environment and candidate should be able to comfortably and safely handle a variety of chemicals, tools, and equipment.
- Accurate and comprehensive recording of experimental work
- Conduct experiments and collect data at the direction of supervision
- Follow build requests by supervisors for routine battery cell fabrication
- Operate laboratory equipment such as gloveboxes, battery cyclers, multi-meters, etc.
- Routine maintenance and calibration of laboratory equipment
- Perform general lab duties such as, but not limited to, stocking laboratory consumables, electrical wiring, cleaning, etc.
- Follow protocols for safe handling of materials and chemicals
- Deliver epic High Fives
- Bachelor’s degree required in a science or engineering field, chemistry preferred
- Familiarity with chemical and hazardous material handling best practices
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task, and succeed in an environment with competing demands
- Basic machining (drill press, sanding)
- Ability to lift 35 lbs.
- Stand for extended periods of time
- Dexterous – able to safely grasp, move, or assemble small objects
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office products
- An aptitude for learning new things and a keen eye for improving processes
At the time of posting, the expected starting salary range for this role is $55,000.00 – $80,000.00 annually. The actual pay depends on multiple individualized factors, including education, job-related knowledge, experience, and skills, which will be assessed during the interview process. The comprehensive compensation package for this position may also include other elements, such as health benefits, 401k, and company stock options. The base pay range and package is subject to change and may be modified in the future.
ABOUT SOUTH 8 TECHNOLOGIES
South 8 Technologies, Inc. is a fast growing and well-funded group backed by leading global organizations. We have developed a breakthrough new Liquefied Gas Electrolyte chemistry for next-generation lithium batteries. Our patented technology enables a substantial increase in energy, improved safety, and an exceptionally wide operating temperature. Leveraging conventional materials and manufacturing, South 8 Technologies offers a unique solution for a variety of e-mobility, energy storage, and industrial applications.
South 8 Technologies, Inc. was founded in 2015 and spun out of UC San Diego’s Jacobs School of Engineering. We are a diverse team, which values integrity and hard work in an environment that encourages creative thinking, collaboration, and honest feedback. Become a critical member of our team and grow alongside us as we transform the energy landscape.
Candidates may apply by sending resume to email@example.com.
Candidates only – we will not respond to inquiries from third-party recruiters.
South 8 Technologies is an equal opportunity employer.