Lead a team on various projects from target development, design of experiments, to testing on a wide range of electrochemical storage technologies based on South 8’s novel Liquefied Gas Electrolyte. Emphasis on electrolyte formulation development for various electrodes and chemistries. Creative problem solving, excellent attention to detail, and fundamental working knowledge of battery materials are required.
Become a critical member of our fast-growing team working to develop a breakthrough battery technology to change the way batteries are made and used worldwide to advance a clean energy future. In this position, you will be a key part of our core team, at the forefront of taking next-generation chemistries and packaging them into advanced battery cells.
We are looking for a thoughtful and creative Battery Scientist, with strong hands-on experience and excellent attention to detail to join our team in the Bay Park area of San Diego, CA. The ideal candidate would be given a target and independently design research plans and work with a team to perform experiments, analyze data, and recommend new pathways. This role will involve developing detailed understanding of the relationships between material properties, cell design, and electrochemical parameters to deliver high performance and safe next-generation batteries. The role will require close collaboration with the technical team in addition to external partners and customers, taking initial concepts to production. This is an incredibly exciting, dynamic work environment with several parallel projects with various timelines.
Candidates should have strong working knowledge of and extensive laboratory experience in advanced materials and chemistries for lithium-ion and lithium metal batteries. Including background knowledge in electrolyte design, anode and cathode-electrolyte interfaces, cell fabrication, cycling protocols and analysis, and data archiving. Knowledge of battery cell assembly, manufacturing systems, and gas flow systems is also highly desired.
- Lead a team to design research strategies from fundamental studies to prototyping in developing new energy storage devices based on Liquefied Gas Electrolyte chemistries
- Sourcing, characterizing, and evaluating materials from various suppliers
- Building and evaluating coin and cylindrical cells including materials characterization, electrochemical testing, and failure analysis
- Review scientific literature on energy storage technologies
- Effectively communicate ideas, concepts, designs, and results with the team
- Contribute to technical writing of grants, patents, and reports
- Work independently and efficiently to reach goals with target timelines
- Deliver epic High Fives
- Ph.D. in chemistry, chemical engineering, materials science, or related discipline plus 2 years’ experience in the battery industry
- Deep working knowledge of battery cell construction and electrochemical testing techniques, including familiarity with Arbin/Maccor/Bio-Logic test equipment, EIS, CV, etc.
- Strong track record of achievements in materials R&D
- Ability to lead a team to achieve research and development goals
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize, multi-task, and succeed in an environment with competing demands
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Basic machining (ex. drill press, sanding)
- Ability to lift 35 lbs
- An aptitude for learning new things and a keen eye for improving processes